LDS - Monterey, Santa Cruz, Silicon Valley

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JKD

Registered
Reaction score
this was originally posted in the "New divers ..." forum and was suggested to be re-posted here (makes logical sense to me !!)

Hi all,
my husband is newly certified and is looking to get his first set of gear. He's done some investigation and consulted with one of his friends .... and has now given me "the list", primarily Mares equipment.

If anyone has a recommendation for a LDS in the area, carrying Mares equipment, I'd be grateful. I'd especially appreciate a place with good customer service, good selection and decent prices.

I've read the discussions about on-line vs LDS; I'd like to give our LDSs a chance, esp since we could see them as a place to refresh, book trips, meet other locals, etc ... BUT, here's the problem - I can't seem to find one willing to take our money

I contacted three listed on the Mares website by email because we currently live overseas (we're originally from the Santa Cruz area but moving to Monterey next year). None of them bothered to reply. After several weeks, I re-sent my mails and got only one reply, and it seems that they don't carry any of the equipment we wanted. So, from what I can see, they are not interested in my business.

(And, this is after we took a driving tour of a half dozen LDS taken from the SJ phone book, and most were out of business !!!! So, it's possible the two non-respondents might also be out of business !)

I could understand not bothering with $100 fins or $10 straps, etc ..... but we're talking the full kit here ! On the other hand, I emailed Leisure Pro and got a response the next day. So, this weekend will be the one chance for us to be in the Bay Area and settle on all of the equipment ........

Are we being pushed into the arms of Leisure Pro ? Or, does someone have a recommendation for us ?

thanks for listening to our saga and looking forward to getting some good advice.

I know that Aqua Safaris in Santa Cruz carries Mares gear (just bought a Mares BCD there for my son last weekend). They are a good shop, friendly staff, great instructors, and fun to dive with.
I'd drop by there shop. If they don't have something in stock, they can order it for you.

I have no relation with them other than as a happy customer!

I'll throw in another vote for Aqua Safaris They've always done me right, they'll work with you on price, and they'll order anything they're authorized to and won't charge shipping unless you want it in a hurry. Good people.

AND...they're open til 8:00 every night

JKD,

Leisure Pro is an authorized Mares dealer with an exceptional selection of Mares gear as well as just about every other major brand out there and great prices on all of it. We not only make it our business to sell gear, but to support it and our customers as well. You are always welcome to e-mail us (or me directly: bretth@leisurepro.com) if that is the most convenient especially with your current time difference as well as call, use our web site, or contact me over ScubaBoard. I don’t know what we e-mailed to you before, but if we didn’t send you a package quote please give me a call or PM me your e-mail address and what gear you are looking for. Our regular prices are great, but if you give us a chance we can usually work out a deal that will blow everyone else away (and no sales tax outside NY to boot!). We will get you up and running with a complete scuba setup so you can check out the beautiful California kelp forests.

this was originally posted in the "New divers ..." forum and was suggested to be re-posted here (makes logical sense to me !!)

Hi all,
my husband is newly certified and is looking to get his first set of gear. He's done some investigation and consulted with one of his friends .... and has now given me "the list", primarily Mares equipment.

If anyone has a recommendation for a LDS in the area, carrying Mares equipment, I'd be grateful. I'd especially appreciate a place with good customer service, good selection and decent prices.

I've read the discussions about on-line vs LDS; I'd like to give our LDSs a chance, esp since we could see them as a place to refresh, book trips, meet other locals, etc ... BUT, here's the problem - I can't seem to find one willing to take our money

I contacted three listed on the Mares website by email because we currently live overseas (we're originally from the Santa Cruz area but moving to Monterey next year). None of them bothered to reply. After several weeks, I re-sent my mails and got only one reply, and it seems that they don't carry any of the equipment we wanted. So, from what I can see, they are not interested in my business.

(And, this is after we took a driving tour of a half dozen LDS taken from the SJ phone book, and most were out of business !!!! So, it's possible the two non-respondents might also be out of business !)

I could understand not bothering with $100 fins or $10 straps, etc ..... but we're talking the full kit here ! On the other hand, I emailed Leisure Pro and got a response the next day. So, this weekend will be the one chance for us to be in the Bay Area and settle on all of the equipment ........

Are we being pushed into the arms of Leisure Pro ? Or, does someone have a recommendation for us ?

thanks for listening to our saga and looking forward to getting some good advice.

JKD,

First, I'd like to thank you for your post, and interest in Mares equipment. Unfortunately there has been some attrition of local dive stores within the San Jose area the last year or so. Listed below are some our better Mares stores that stock much (but not all) of our equipment. I am quite certain that they would be excited to work with you finding the right gear. Please keep me posted of your dealings.

• Diver Dans: Dan, Mike, Johnothan: Santa Clara CA: 408-315-1283
  • Blue Water Aquatis: Randy: Sunnyvale CA: 408-733-4369
  • Pacific Coast Scuba: Mary Jo, Brian: Morgan Hills CA: 408-483-8721
  • Aqua Safaris: Vince, Dede, Santa Cruz CA: 831-479-4386
  • Bamboo Reef: Keith: Monterey CA: 831-372-1685
I hope you find this helpful!

Best regards,

thanks to all of you for your kind replies and to cmburch who recommended:
diverdans
leisurepro
scubatoys

I did receive emails from the above three.

My husband will visit diverdans and aqua safaris this weekend, although the latter was one of the non-respondents to my original email request :wink: good to hear they are still in business ....

It may not matter if your husband is truly set on the Mares gear, but Wallins in San Carlos is having a big sale this Saturday, with some nice Scubapro and AquaLung packages on sale (along with a bunch of other stuff). It might be worth it for you guys to check it out, since it's only a 20-30 minute drive.

Scubapro has a promo going on (still I think) for a free computer with BC/Reg purchase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom