LDS Disillusionment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
Carry this over to the automotive industry and it would mean that only GM authorized service centers could buy brakes for a GM product and that in order to be an authorized service center you would also have to be a GM car dealer.

Auto parts and service are a perfect comparison. I'd rather rebuild my regulator in my basement than do a rear drum brake job and adjustment on my truck in my garage. Does anyone know why the auto industry allows parts sales? Is it just good business or has the practice in their case resulted in legal action? New car warranties are not limited to the original buyer, parts and service are free for a warrantied repair and you can, at any time, purchase parts either from the dealer or as aftermarket and then either do the repairs yourself or go to the repair facility of your choice. If these same practices were adopted by dive gear manufacturers it would eliminate the entire "you must buy here or else" mentality. Mike, in addition to your challange to try and buy parts over the counter, try and get a dive shop to sell you a factory authorized type repair class. I feel that in order to keep calling dive equipment 'life support equipment' and keep limiting access to aftermarket parts and service, the establishment will have to require that techs pass and maintain some state administered minimum training and certifications, like auto mechanics, bit I'm sure no one wants the government involved.

yknot:
I'd rather rebuild my regulator in my basement than do a rear drum brake job and adjustment on my truck in my garage.

See. He's not from TEXAS. :shakehead

yknot:
I lied about the garage part. It's more like on my back in the driveway in the snow. And I didn't say I WOULDN"T do it, just rather not.

OK, leave the snow and you may qualify for a TEXAS visa. The dry suit is optional.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom