LDS Bashers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, I'd never looked at compressors before. Cool! For $3K investment could be free of trips to an LDS for fills before shore diving. What kind of maintenance costs do these things run over time. I like the electric motor idea, keep it in the garage, run the intake pipe to outside the garage, not have to worry about gas-engine fumes inside. What kind of noise levels? Is running for half an hour an issue for your household in terms of noise?

wow the end of this thread, just 36 pages; now for a consturactive note, ....
The day that REI, or Sportsmans warehouse begins to sell scuba equipment..........the LDS as we know it is doomed, Just like the "Mom& Pop" stores and all the beter, because they are better.
They hire "good" people, make use of marketing, make use of buying power, and more importantly, make use of market research....people that hike may have a predisposition to camping/ rock climbing/ fishing/ hunting/ perhaps even scuba.....these people are known in the "trade" as "outdoorsmen" , and we are them even if we don't participate in all of the activities.

If for example IF REI were to enclude SCUBA, my guess is that they would put large deep lexan "pools" in their stores for training,but also,

to stimulate intrest, just as they place the "climbing walls', and you can bet your butt that they would have said facilities filled..

Im thingthing that that a market corretion is due, prices, and service must come to an equiberlam,or shos must die.

Vicente:
My diving experience over the last 10 years is, sometimes things don't go as planned. I know not to surface in it and wouldn't ordinarily. You ever been in a kelp field and had an equipment or buddy issue? Then you'll know. My plain old J-snorkel made it easy to crawl across the top. My poor buddy with a funky-fancy-expensive snorkel was breathing water trying to use the snorkel, and breathing water without it, and was generally not happy. Hence I was trying to help them find a simple J-snorkel.

Comprende?

I haven't had the chance to dive in kelp but it's something that I really want to do.

I'm thinking that I would do 2 things. I'd make like it's a cave dive and plan on not being able to surface in it. Of course, it isn't a cave dive and I wouldn't run line so I might not come out the way that I went in but...I'd have enough gas that I could use it on the surface if I needed to and there isn't any way that I'd wear a snorkel.

I know there are some places where you might want to combine diving and snorkeling but I don't think I've sued a snorkel for anything since I stopped teaching OW classes. If my head needs to be in the water, I breath off my reg.

I do agree though that the fancy $100 snorkels with valves all over them are designed for tourists. if I'm going to use one, all I need is just a plain snorkel. Except for kids toys, I don't even know who makes them any more but there are some ok snorkels that are pretty cheap...decent mouth piece with a drain valve that isn't one of those crazy dry snorkel thingies.

I'm sure I have a box of them in the garage someplace.

wilkie:
The day that REI, or Sportsmans warehouse begins to sell scuba equipment..........the LDS as we know it is doomed, Just like the "Mom& Pop" stores and all the beter, because they are better.
They hire "good" people, make use of marketing, make use of buying power, and more importantly, make use of market research....people that hike may have a predisposition to camping/ rock climbing/ fishing/ hunting/ perhaps even scuba.....these people are known in the "trade" as "outdoorsmen" , and we are them even if we don't participate in all of the activities.

If for example IF REI were to enclude SCUBA, my guess is that they would put large deep lexan "pools" in their stores for training,but also,

to stimulate intrest, just as they place the "climbing walls', and you can bet your butt that they would have said facilities filled..

Im thingthing that that a market corretion is due, prices, and service must come to an equiberlam,or shos must die.

I agree with most of waht you say except for the hiring good people part. IME it's hit or miss there but I'd gladly execept that to get the selection and prices this would bring about.

I don't even shop at an LDS anymore because I hate the atmosphere that their current business model creates.

Living without a dive shop is not particularly hard for me. I have basicly done without them most of my life except for the very first years. I have had a compressor for the last 40+ years, I only dive air, I repair and service my own gear and I buy used or on line. There is one shop I use for minor items and it is a combination dive shop, general hardware and marine store. It has been around for 40+ years and has the right business model. Scuba is only part of their business so they don't have to rip off divers to make it. More shops need to be like it. By the name you wouldn't even know it sell diving equiptment, Temento's, Westwego, LA

Air fills are easy, you don't need a LDS or a compressor, We have 1 LDS in this area and 4 commercial locations that can fill SCUBA cylinders. They are the same folks that sell welding gasses. They know more about handling compressed gas than most LDS's and they are probably the places that do your Hydro testing, even if you drop it off at an LDS. I can drop my tanks off at the local welding shop on Monday and have my tanks back Wed. As for quality of air 2 of the aboved mentioned supply medical gas for the local hospitals and dentists. So I would say it's pretty good.

Now my LDS gives quicker and cheaper fills, but they are not always as convienent because of the drive. I prefer to get my fills at the LDS, but if they shut down I have several other inexpensive options. I am not sure if my LDS makes money but they compete pretty well with the internet. About 10% higher than LP or SCUBA Toys. They also have excellent instructors so I think that they will be around for awhile.

My point is most people don't need an LDS for an airfill.

Trever:
Air fills are easy, you don't need a LDS or a compressor, We have 1 LDS in this area and 4 commercial locations that can fill SCUBA cylinders. They are the same folks that sell welding gasses. They know more about handling compressed gas than most LDS's and they are probably the places that do your Hydro testing, even if you drop it off at an LDS. I can drop my tanks off at the local welding shop on Monday and have my tanks back Wed. As for quality of air 2 of the aboved mentioned supply medical gas for the local hospitals and dentists. So I would say it's pretty good.

Now my LDS gives quicker and cheaper fills, but they are not always as convienent because of the drive. I prefer to get my fills at the LDS, but if they shut down I have several other inexpensive options. I am not sure if my LDS makes money but they compete pretty well with the internet. About 10% higher than LP or SCUBA Toys. They also have excellent instructors so I think that they will be around for awhile.

My point is most people don't need an LDS for an airfill.

You might want to ask specifics on quality. Medical gasses aren't compressed air, they're the pure stuff. They may or may not have the right setup for breathable clean air, sort of depends on whether or not they are filling for the fire department also.

Vicente:
Wow, I'd never looked at compressors before. Cool! For $3K investment could be free of trips to an LDS for fills before shore diving. What kind of maintenance costs do these things run over time. I like the electric motor idea, keep it in the garage, run the intake pipe to outside the garage, not have to worry about gas-engine fumes inside. What kind of noise levels? Is running for half an hour an issue for your household in terms of noise?

$3K buys a LOT of air fills at most shops. You better count on about a buck fifty to two bucks for every fill just to maintain your compressor. Proper filters and oil don't come cheap. Also, a 3K compressor won't fill a lot of tanks fast, you might have that thing running for more than a half hour unless you are only filling 1-2 tanks. If you are looking at it strictly as an economic issue, a personal compressor doesn't make economic sense for most people.

Back
Top Bottom