LDS Bashers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waynne fowler:
I fell off my chair and pee'd myself... Laughing so hard I almost can't type!...

Me too! And the funny part is it actually lets you 'check out'.... and asks for credit card info.... wonder how many people have done that!

Hello All,

I believe in supporting my LDS in Riverside, CA as much as possible.

I have purchased 99.9% of my stuff from this guy and in exchange for loyalty he gives me 10% - 15% off of everything that I buy.

The only stuff I don't buy from my LDS is stuff they don't carry - like my new Apollo Sport Bio Fins that are on their way from Scuba Toys - I wanted to buy from LDS but he doesn't sell Apollo Sports and can't order them - I tried.

For the most part I am getting prices as good as those on the internet - and when I end up paying more I really don't care.

I want the shop to stay open because I like the people that work there and for selfish reasons like its very convenient on my way home from work.

If the shop were to close I couldn't get my tanks filled on the internet.

So support MY LDS!!! If you don't want to support yours thats OK.

same argument same story its not going to go away. support your lds. i got my biscuits burned and quick education on lds economics. its expensive, but use the lds. they cant make a living off of charters, classes, and refills. shop often and try to buy something everytime you shop. even if its a few bucks. the more you spend the more they may be willing to "cut a deal". quit whining, spend the dough, and enjoy the PERSONAL customer service youll get with you lds.

same argument same story its not going to go away. support your lds. i got my biscuits burned and quick education on lds economics. its expensive, but use the lds. they cant make a living off of charters, classes, and refills. shop often and try to buy something everytime you shop. even if its a few bucks. the more you spend the more they may be willing to "cut a deal". quit whining, spend the dough, and enjoy the PERSONAL customer service youll get with you lds.

It comes down to economics in the end. If you cannot compete then you will die off. There are other business models that can be used, including internet sales, or create a larger retail store and get a ton of business so you can offer lower prices. I'm a consumer I want the cheapest price so that's what I will go for. It's not like lessons cannot be offered without selling the equipment in a brick and mortar store. Economic systems change, if you cannot adapt to them then you shouldn't be in the business. That's harsh but it's reality.

CBulla:
Theoretically, it won't happen but should it occur, I'll set up my own fill station, problem solved.
OK, I've heard this one on SB before: "if the shop closes, I'll set up my own compressor". Is this really economically rational?
How much does an oxygen clean fill station with an oiless compressor cost to buy? How much does it cost to replace filters? What is the cost of yearly inspections and maintainence (dollars and your time)? What about enriched air fills? Leaving out an O2 boost pump, what does it cost to purchase, transport and transfer gas to your cylinders? If you let your buddies fill their tanks, do you buy liability insurance? What about floor space? Will it affect your homeowner's insurance? How much time do you want to spend filling tanks, and how much time do you want to be diving?
All in all, the "I'll just get my own compressor" theory seems more like a debating point than a real option for most recreational divers.
Of course, If the dive shop stays open, you wouldn't have these problems.

Debay777:

After 9/11 I took a $22,000 pay cut :( so if I can save money and buy occasionally off the internet I will. I support them as much as possible but it is not always feasible.

It depends where you live. If there is only one compressor within 50 miles of your home, you may want to give the owner some aid. Here in Florida some (certainly not all) little dive shops are owned by wealthy people who run it as a "hobby business". If the dive shop owner drives a real nice car and appears well fed, I don't feel particularly obligated to empty my wallet each time we meet.

CrawfishDiver:
buy with whom you dive

That only makes sense if you dive locally which I do not. All my diving is in the caribbean and it would get awful expensive to make those trips to buy gear.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom