LBTS for first ocean dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LBTS is a great dive, but it's not a swimming pool. On a calm day with little current it can seem like one, but...

Sometimes folks who aren't used to shore diving don't realize that there's a bit of a shlep from the car to the water and back in full gear. Not a big deal if you're used to it, but the effort surprises some. Even on the calmest days, exiting the water often involves a nasty little hump in the sand that can trip you just before you get out.

Sometimes the surface looks really calm, but a north or south current will catch you by surprise...and sometimes change from one direction to the other during the course of a dive. This happens especially around sunset. A least once I've dumped gear with my buddy and walked almost a mile back to the parking lot. We've learned to read the marker buoys to gauge the current, and carry cabfare for when we're wrong.

There's a fishing pier that is a block or two away from the entry point. It's very easy if you're not familiar with the bottom or in low viz to get too close...I've been swept all the way under that pier on a night dive by heavy current that came up when viz was low. I didn't get hooked or tangled in line, but others have.

Like any beach dive, LBTS sometimes has surf, surge, rips, and poor viz that is difficult to predict. You'd probably call a dive for any of those conditions, but would you know them if you saw them?

Ocean dives have critters. It's one of the reason they're so much fun, but wherever you go for your first ocean dive it's a nice idea to have someone who can point out which critters that may need extra space. LBTS has lots of baby tropicals, so it's usually a fun dive from that perspective, but also has lionfish, scorpionfish, stingrays, sea urchins, and at least one attack puffer. It's a rarity, but earlier this week it was knee-deep in jellies and MOWs.

Finally, the Town of Lauderdale by the Sea has some of the most dedicated parking enforcement folks I've ever met. The LBTS parking lot at Datura Ave is metered, and they'll ticket you in a heartbeat if you go over your time. Knowing where you can park for free or how much time to put in the meter for a particular dive is "insider" knowledge the locals have obtained through trial and expensive error.

LBTS is a beautiful shore dive - perhaps my favorite. Please try to make it during your trip, but hook up with the Gold Coast folks...I'm willing to bet that if you tell them you're new to ocean diving, they'll go out of their way to ensure someone familiar with LBTS is available to dive with you when you're down, and find a space near their shop where you can park for free.

Last edited:
LBTS is a great dive, but it's not a swimming pool. On a calm day with little current it can seem like one, but...

Sometimes folks who aren't used to shore diving don't realize that there's a bit of a shlep from the car to the water and back in full gear. Not a big deal if you're used to it, but the effort surprises some. Even on the calmest days, exiting the water often involves a nasty little hump in the sand that can trip you just before you get out.

Sometimes the surface looks really calm, but a north or south current will catch you by surprise...and sometimes change from one direction to the other during the course of a dive. This happens especially around sunset. A least once I've dumped gear with my buddy and walked almost a mile back to the parking lot. We've learned to read the marker buoys to gauge the current, and carry cabfare for when we're wrong.

There's a fishing pier that is a block or two away from the entry point. It's very easy if you're not familiar with the bottom or in low viz to get too close...I've been swept all the way under that pier on a night dive by heavy current that came up when viz was low. I didn't get hooked or tangled in line, but others have.

Like any beach dive, LBTS sometimes has surf, surge, rips, and poor viz that is difficult to predict. You'd probably call a dive for any of those conditions, but would you know them if you saw them?

Ocean dives have critters. It's one of the reason they're so much fun, but wherever you go for your first ocean dive it's a nice idea to have someone who can point out which critters that may need extra space. LBTS has lots of baby tropicals, so it's usually a fun dive from that perspective, but also has lionfish, scorpionfish, stingrays, sea urchins, and at least one attack puffer. It's a rarity, but earlier this week it was knee-deep in jellies and MOWs.

Finally, the Town of Lauderdale by the Sea has some of the most dedicated parking enforcement folks I've ever met. The LBTS parking lot at Datura Ave is metered, and they'll ticket you in a heartbeat if you go over your time. Knowing where you can park for free or how much time to put in the meter for a particular dive is "insider" knowledge the locals have obtained through trial and expensive error.

LBTS is a beautiful shore dive - perhaps my favorite. Please try to make it during your trip, but hook up with the Gold Coast folks...I'm willing to bet that if you tell them you're new to ocean diving, they'll go out of their way to ensure someone familiar with LBTS is available to dive with you when you're down, and find a space near their shop where you can park for free.

That was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for that very detailed post. I will certainly attempt to hook up with Gold Coast and weather permitting, dive LBTS with them. Much appreciated.

LBTS is fabulous and we did out first shore dives there. Alot of shore dives there in the last year as well. If it is choppy, have cocktails and dive another day. There is plenty to see and we have been fortunate to see turtles on most dives. Most divers are friendly. check out Gold Coast scuba's site as they post conditions frequently and windjammer has a live web cam.
We usually stay at Santa Barbara as you can tank up across street and walk over with your gear on your back. They have an outdoor hose and shpwer so very easy cleanup. I would check water temp. I'm not one to dive with a headache from the cold. But we are thinking about heading again late March. Have fun, it's a great spot.
Blue Heron always seems so busy. Teeming with life but you have to watch the slack tide and I think there are more conditions a new shore diver has to worry about.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom