LBTS for first ocean dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bamabowtie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Me and my GF are heading down to the keys this spring for our first ocean/boat dives. We were thinking about going down a day early and diving LBTS one day and BHB the next. What do you guys think about doing LBTS as our first ocean dive?

Also, anyone know of a decent/affordable place to stay fairly close to LBTS?

Has anyone ever stayed at the Premiere Hotel?
Thanks

If you're headed to the keys you may want to dive BHB first, and then continue south to LBTS so you're not doubling back on yourself. I know a lot of people who've done LBTS as their first ocean dive. Easy shore access with close reef. Just remember that both these sites are shores dives: you will need to coordinate your diving with shop hours for any rental gear you might need.

A good place to stay is the Santa Barbara Inn:

Santa Barbara Inn - Lauderdale-By-The-Sea, Florida

Good info on LBTS
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/290550-lauderdale-sea-beach-dive.html

BHB is a fairly protected area that is easy to dive at slack high tide, even when the ocean is rough.

Regaridng LBTS: since this is your first ocean dive, make sure you are a half way decent swimmer. Don't over estimate your ability, if the waves are too high or if there is are rip currents or really choppy water, I'd cancel the dive unless you hook up with a local who dives it regularly. If man-of-wars are present, I'd also cancel. It would be not fun swimming out or back in and getting caught in those things. It is a wonderful dive site under normal conditions.

Agree about hitting BHB first and then LBTS.

I dunno - when I read your post, my 1st thought was bag the shore dive @LBTS - candidly, with the (lack of) experience you describe, I would not do it - too much to go wrong; too much to consider. If you were doing the dive w/ members of Gold Coast, or DebbyDiver, I might feel different.

Its not simply a matter of swimming out a few feet and seeing the reef - Blue Heron Bridge, at the right tide is more shallow and easier; also much more protected, less swimming - a much easier dive.

I'd rethink the plan - the other posters are saying the same thing, just not as bluntly.

Jupiter31 said it all shore diving is not just walking into the ocean and going down , specially when you never done it before .This link will take u to a dive shop that shore dives every day of the week Mon-Sun & evenings They can also hook u up with gear & accommodations dive with a group that goes out all the time be safe & smart .:)

Gold Coast Scuba »

LBTS is a great place to do a first ocean dive. On a calm day when the seas are flat, it's a leisurely swim out to the reef. I've taken many a new diver out there.

Howard - please read the guys post again - 1st ocean dive; less than 24 dives total - 100% newbi's - zero experience w/ wind, tide, sea conditions, beach diving in general, no local knowledge - at best, a potential problem in the works, at worst an accident waiting to happen.

If YOU took them diving I'd post different - but that is not in the post, nor in the OP's plans when he posted - we can only respond to what they post, and what they wrote, not what could midigate a bad situation, so I'll stand by what I wrote -

OTOH, if you (or some one else w/ plenty of experience and local knowledge) wants to take them diving, and the conditions are close to ideal (we all know how frequenty that happens this time of year) - different situation.

Yeah... I saw it.

You'd rather send them to BHB where you have to

a) time the tides

and

b) watch for boat traffic?

I disagree. I think LBTS is quite easy, and on a calm day... even easier.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one, Howard - if, as I posted, they are doing this on their own w/out an experienced local.

BHB is just easier - even when you factor the hour before high tide dive "restriction" than turning complete newbi's w/ zero experience loose in the Atlantic.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one, Howard - if, as I posted, they are doing this on their own w/out an experienced local.

BHB is just easier - even when you factor the hour before high tide dive "restriction" than turning complete newbi's w/ zero experience loose in the Atlantic.

Thanks for the info guys. I haven't begun to plan any dives and everything is up in the air so all comments and suggestions are welcomed.

For logistics sake, obviously BHB would be the logical first dive. Thanks for catching that for me.

I will contact Gold Coast closer to the time and I will see if we can hook up with them.

@Jupiter: From reading about LBTS on here, I was under the impression that it was a fairly straighforward shore dive. Obviously if conditions were bad I would call off the dive in a second, but could you please warn me of some of the hazards/difficulties that LBTS presents?

Thank you

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom