LBTS Diver Death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As opposed to drowning on purpose?? Gotta love the press...:shakehead:

Yep. That means they don't believe it was murder or suicide.

That means she didn't suffer a heart attack or any physical trouble that would have caused her to drown.

I don't know what the conditions were like on Saturday, but in general, this is an extremely easy dive, a place I love to use for the first couple of checkout dives. Tides are not a factor at this site.

The seas were flat calm Saturday.

Tides more then likely did not play a role as the only shore dive I know that is dependant on the tide is Blue Heron Bridge. This shore dive is very easy, it is a distance to swim out and swim back in. Be we take our time and move nice and slow. I read several articles I found on Google news and most say it was the swim back in her husband turned around and she was gone, they also state her BC did not have enough air in it when she was found and she was submerged.
1. Why was her BC not full of air?
2. Where was her buddy? He should have been there and then he would have known something was wrong and may have been able to help her.

If she was floating and the seas were calm then why didn't her BC have enough air? Usually bodies that drown will not surface until the internal gases build up enough to float them.

I want to thank everyone for the info. Obviously this was a tragic situation but it has done some good. I used this very incident last night to illustrate the importance of planning, air management, and buddy skills for new divers. Too often we don't like to discuss these things with new divers or students. I feel this is a huge mistake to make. Only by looking at these things and discussing the causes or possible causes do we drive home the point that this is not a totally safe sport and that there are risks. Hopefully we have better prepared students as a result. And hopefully it will make us think about the dives we do with new people and realize that many times training is lacking. Just because we do these dives all the time with no incidents does not mean that everyone is properly prepared for them. The glaring issue to me is the lack of buddy skills and with new divers that is the result of training that is lacking. I feel sorry for the family and the husband especially. I hope it causes everyone to reevaluate the watering down of training and just how important an in depth course is.

Last edited:
It really points to the importance of gas management and staying with your buddy! If they had used the rule of thirds (assuming low air had somethng to do with this) she would hve had air to submerge and figure things out. Had he stayed with her (especially after so few dives) he could have assisted her with the BCD or air. I am waiting to hear more about the causes of the accident, what was the state of her air supply? Had she dropped her weights?

Mike

mikerault-- what rule of thirds?? For a beach dive off of LBTS? I have more than once snorkeled out.. drank most of a tank and snorkeled back.

With many of the deaths I have seen in the last few years medical problems played an important factor. It is a bad idea to SCUBA dive if you are 30 lbs overwieght, smoke, have bad cholestrol, and get short of breath hiking your gear to the boat / water.

I have to wonder about instructors and the checkmark they put next to the swim test for some folks.

It really points to the importance of gas management and staying with your buddy! If they had used the rule of thirds (assuming low air had somethng to do with this) she would hve had air to submerge and figure things out. Had he stayed with her (especially after so few dives) he could have assisted her with the BCD or air. I am waiting to hear more about the causes of the accident, what was the state of her air supply? Had she dropped her weights?

Mike

Read your post mikerault. You start by passing judgement on what caused this, and then back off and admit that you don't know what caused it and ask for more information. Please remember that this is an open website and google searches will point to it. Anyone can read it. There is a good possibility friends or family of this person are reading this thread. Let's not declare this tragedy the result of a mistake by the diver until or unless we know that is the case.

Never fails, a tragic accident and the "experts" who have no clue as to what actually happened start spouting their expertise. Anyone else here that would actually like to wait for the facts to materialize before boldly announcing what must have happened?

Back
Top Bottom