Lbts 9:00 8/28/04

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Count me in - Klaus wanna carpool?

MikeJacobs:
All right! I promise you that I'll dive this time even if there's a storm...

Slow down - I'm not sure I'll make it. I've got the tough choice of (1) free beer and poker tonight vs. (2) getting up early and diving tomorrow. Hmmm ...

-Klaus

I snorkled out to the first reef line about 9:00pm and might have stayed out 45 minutes to an hour... Marvel watched from the beach and will probably know for sure. Down to the pier and back I saw a large ray, scorpion being cleaned by a clown shrimp, an eel, a large snook that didn't flea for some reason, and followed a turtle around for about 20 minutes. Nights are the best this time of year!!!

Days are so-so as far as critters go, though you never know. Three things seem to be happening:

First, the water is much warmer during summer, and as a result fish that like cooler water have headed NORTH. Fish that like warm water have headed OUT.

Second, the pier has been closed since last October and the fish have "forgotten" all the free chumming they used to get. As a result, bait fish make their living "anywhere" and I think that the absence of large nurse sharks may be due to the lack of chum-chunks that used to coat the bottom within a few hundred feet of the pier (nurse sharks probably fed on the chum as well as all the little sand-critters that did so as well). The large barracuda and tarpin are pretty much absent, though last night's snook was a good size.

Finally, Summer visibility doesn't seem to be as good as Spring & Fall, when the reef was often like a swimming pool. We have maybe 45-50 feet now, which is still plenty but not enough to catch every critter nearby.

I've leared something doing a lot of snorkling lately, though - there's a lot of life at the surface, and the "topside" view will let you see things that you'd otherwise miss on the bottom(improves your "field of view"). Of course, you miss a lot from topside, too, if you don't kick down a lot. Still, with tanks on, lifting my head every minute to look AROUND and UP pays.

Mike, between the snorkeling, kayaking and diving, you're a true Renaissance Man of diving...

Oh, Marvel, you're marvelously young...

well i will met me able to make it due to a nite trip on the american dream.

there is room if anyone wants to come.

thanks
brian

Absolutely great dive. Klaus great seeing you again. Next time I'll pack the chess board I swear. Krista, as always great to see you. Mike...you are the greatest host known to man. Cudos to you. Marvel, marvelous as always. Great meeting two new people. Alli, and Lisa nice meeting you. :wink:

The conditions were...well see the photo. :D I told you be there or be square. Wonderful. We were down for 1 hour, and 44 minutes in 84 degree water. Viz was'nt bad.

Started out dead calm, but current swung north at about a knotnear the end.

Conditions should hold.

Dive safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom