Layering with a skin suit...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Asathd

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’ve been diving for a few years and for cold water (50F) I currently dive a 7mm XCEL Full Suit with an XCEL Infiniti Glideskin Hooded Vest, 7mm boots, and 5mm gloves. I’ve got a trip coming up next week to colder water (high 30’s/low 40’s F) and am looking for a way to get a little warmer but still avoid the dry suit plunge. My thought was to wear a 1mm skin but I’m not sure which to get. I’ve never worn a dive skin under a wetsuit before or at all for that matter. I’ve tried on the ScubaPro 0.5mm Profile Steamer (cause that was all the LDS had) and it fit well, but I was looking at the ScubaPro Hybrid 1mm Steamer as well. I think I’d like a 1mm skin over a 0.5mm skin. Any suggestions? I know the skin will make it a little easier to put the 7mm on, but am I crazy for thinking the skin could add warmth? Cheers.

Industry terms like to get fuzzy on this one.

The term dive skin often refers to a lycra garment that is thermally worthless.

What you describe sounds like a thin wetsuit. Being another water exchange barrier it will help form a torturous path between you and the open water. The value will come from this labyrinth seal, not the thermal value of the .5 - 1 mm neoprene though that won't hurt either. If possible get the skin with the zipper opposing the full suit zipper.

If you can keep the glide-skin vest on your skin that would be best with the new skin over the vest and under the full suit.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom