Layering to keep warm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bethie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,
I would like some advice about what to do for the Surge to Cayman Brac in January as far as keeping warm. I usually dive in my very comfortable 3 mm wetsuit. I see that the water temps will be cooler there than what I just dove in Bonaire (80 vs 86) and do not want to risk being cold.
I looked at a few 5mm wetsuits but they seem too heavy and bulky, so I think I would rather add a layer under (or over?) my usual wetsuit, and some kind of head covering.
I'm sure you all have many suggestions. Thanks!

Definitely get a loose fitting and comfortable 2 or 3 mm hood. A hooded vest is also an option.

Another less expensive option (than a full 5 mm) would be to add a hood And also a 3 mm shorty - bak zip wetsuit over the outside of your full 3 mm suit. This configuration is really comfortable because you have good arm, elbow and knee mobility, but the core is well protected.

Plus, in really warm water, i like to sometimes wear a full dive skin and a shorty over the outside of that. Buying an inexpensive shorty suit will give you more options than a full 5 mm suit that you will rarely use.

EVO 3mm Mens Shorty Wetsuit

Everyone has different tolerant towards cold water. For me:
1. If the water temperature is warmer than 80F, I wear 3mm full wetsuit with rash-guard T-shirt & short underwear.
2. If the water temperature is between 70 and 80F, I wear 5mm full wetsuit with 2mm hood, rash-guard T-shirt & short underwear.
3. If the water temperature is 60 and 70F, I wear 5mm full wetsuit with 2mm hood, 2mm shorty wetsuit over the 5mm full wetsuit, rash-guard T-shirt & short underwear.
4. If the water temperature is less than 60F, I don't dive.

The above is fine for the first 2-3 days of 3-4 dives/day diving trip. For a week or more diving trip, I tend to get cold after 3 days & start to layer up. That's why I bring the 2mm shorty wetsuit & 2mm hood in addition to the 3 or 5mm full wetsuit for a week or more long diving trip.

Last edited:
80f, I'd just get a good hooded vest if you're nervous, but realistically a 3mm hood will be fine. Much below that, I'm in a 5mm if the exposure is going to be over an hour

Maybe a skin and a hood.

A hoodie/sweater for the surface intervals may also be very useful. Sometimes Cayman winds in the winter can chill you quick on deck.

Back
Top Bottom