layering options for a new guy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@tbone1004 mentioned one of the problems with rubber: extra weighting to compensate for the surface buoyancy can be problematic when you get to depth and the neoprene is compressed. The other problem with the rubber is that when you need the thermal protection the most is exactly when it fails you. Wetsuit insulation is provided by those tiny gas bubbles throughout the suit. As you get deeper, and into the colder waters, those gas bubbles are compressed and thereby their thermal insulation properties are reduced. So, not only are you overweighted, but you've lost your insulation.

Like tbone, I grew up in New England and I dove wet in cold waters for years with a 7mm Henderson farmer john. It can be done, certainly. However, if I had to do it over again, I would have saved my pennies and gone dry.

If budget is a concern, definitely take a look into pre-owned drysuits. Check here on the classifieds, eBay, craigslist, your LDS, etc.

Here's an example I found very quickly on eBay.

Another option you may want to consider is a MAKO 7 mm freedive suit. This suit has an integrated hood which helps to reduce the cost since you do not have to buy a separate hood.

The freedive suit is extremely warm and allows nearly zero water into the suit and eliminates pumping of water into and out of the suit. This is accomplished by the two piece design, an integrated hood which eliminates any water coming in at the neck area, a smooth rubber interior that seals to your skin, and the elimination of all zippers which leak water.

We only sell direct, with no retail stores- so no middleman mark up. Our suits are made from the best quality neoprene available Yamamoto 39, which is comfortable, flexible and stretchy. The phot below shows two versions of the pants.. they are designed so that you can cut the top off if you desire.

Yamamoto 3D Reef Camo 2-Piece Open Cell Wetsuit | MAKO Spearguns

M2Y3DRC-2T.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom