layering options for a new guy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spdcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
very new diver here. I bought a 3mm farmer john and an Evo 3mm long sleeve top. I used these layered to give me 6mm on my core and 3mm on my extremities. this was awesome for the Key's in Jan where the temps were 69-74* but now I am back home in Colorado and planning to dive in some of the local reservoirs this summer. where temps won't be so nice.

I am not very knowledgeable on how to work around this. Obviously I can buy a 7mm one piece. but is there a way that I can add layers to my farmer john setup to keep me warm? I love layers as they are more versatile. I know I can add a hooded vest and a few similar pieces, but what about layering over my arms or legs to keep them warm? is this worth attempting or should I just invest in a quality 7mm? any other options?

(also, I wear 3mm booties now, don't own gloves or any head protection at this moment, what would you recommend me to look into?)

what are the temps at home? It is unlikely you will be able to get another layer that will be sufficient to keep your arms and legs warm. Depending on the water and surface temps, you may want to look at a drysuit instead. I do not like thick wetsuits especially when layered as farmer johns because they restrict movement and depending on how deep you are diving, the suit compression is dangerous imho. If you need something more than a 7mm steamer with a hooded vest, you need to be in a drysuit. 7mm steamer with a good hooded vest for me is water temps in the 40's, but I have a lot of cold water tolerance from growing up in New England.

I read a few of your responses in a similar thread when I searched, glad ya stopped by my thread @tbone1004! I don't think temps will be anywhere lower than mid 50's maybe? I do have plans to move back to Alaska in the next few years, so a dry suit will be needed then, but I don't think I can quite afford them at the moment. I didn't feel any movement restrictions in my setup in florida, but my max dept was only 35 or so.

by steamer I assume you mean one piece? and I assume they hold temp a bit better than a two piece setup like mine is now?

@Spdcrazy it's not that they hold heat better, and I actually have no problem with 3mm farmer johns, I have issues with 5mm and 7mm farmer johns because they put so much neoprene on you that when you get to depth ~60ft or so, most of that positive buoyancy is gone which causes you to be potentially dangerously overweighted. With a 7mm john in particular, moving around is rather difficult and you end up looking and feeling like Violet from Willy Wonka.

6X5 Semi-dry Diving Wetsuit | OThree Custom Drysuits
I would look at something like that, and then get a really good hooded vest like this one
Cave Adventurers - Pinnacle Hooded Vests - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
that will keep you plenty warm in the 50's and high 40's

interesting. and that semi-dry isn't that bad of price. so it sounds like my setup now is gonna be strictly for warmer waters, and I need to invest in a one piece 7mm or something like that 6x5 semi-dry.

I started off with a 3/2mm full suit and then bought a bunch of pieces for layering. I thought the same as you as far as layering and versatility. Eventually, I bought a 7/5mm and a 5/4mm. To me, using the right single piece wetsuit is way nicer than hassling with a bunch of layers (and it is a hassle). Now, I never use layering. If a single wetsuit and hood is not warm enough, I go to a thicker wetsuit - or drysuit.

I actually bought a drysuit before I got the 7/5. Looking back, I wish I had not bothered to buy the 7/5. A nice drysuit is SO much nicer than a 7mm wetsuit. OTOH, a drysuit that doesn't fit well or doesn't have the seals trimmed to fit well, well that's not so nice.

My ideal scuba locker would just have a 3/2 for warm water, a 5/4 for slightly cooler water and/or longer dives, and a good, lightweight drysuit (with a variety of undergarments). I like the 5/4 as, to me, it is still comfy to put on and comfy to wear. But, once I move up to 7mm, the thickness just makes it no fun to put on and no fun to wear. And all 3 of my suits are the same brand and model, so it's not that I got a good 5/4 and a crappy 7/5.

interesting. I expect i'd be in the same boat as you about loving the drysuit, but I don't see myself using a drysuit very often at all until AK becomes home again, and that'll be a few years I expect. I think my next step then will be a flexible 7mm one piece wetsuit. and a nice hooded vest of some sort. then dry suit as I get more dives under my belt.

I suggest a sharkskin under layer....toasty!

interesting. I expect i'd be in the same boat as you about loving the drysuit, but I don't see myself using a drysuit very often at all until AK becomes home again, and that'll be a few years I expect. I think my next step then will be a flexible 7mm one piece wetsuit. and a nice hooded vest of some sort. then dry suit as I get more dives under my belt.

drysuit is not an experience thing, it is a comfort and safety thing. Better to wait until you can afford one if the plan is to buy one to replace the 7mm suit than to spend the money twice because once you have a drysuit, the odds are that you won't be diving that 7mm again. good drysuits are not that expensive. ~$1500 for some top quality suits from USIA, O'Three, etc

tbone, I can see your point, but the time it will take me to save up (and convince my fiancé that we need, not one but two drysuits) will mean no local diving at all. and that means no diving for a couple years. that's just not a gap I can live with!

that semi-dry suit you showed me seems like a possible good bridge until the dry suit can be added to my gear. it would get used half a dozen or more times a year for a couple years anyways

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom