Lawyers Evil or Saints?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seabear70

Reaction score
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers. - William Shakespeare

I've got an Idea...

Before providing help, check to see if they are carrying a Bar assn. Card in their wallet, or anything which says no to perform CPR. If they have either one, go help someone else.

I know a couple of trial lawyers, and here's a few quotes from them about their profession.

"You can make a lot of money, if you are willing to have no consience, no morals, and no ethics. If you have any of those, you can't be in this business."

"No action, no matter how noble, appears reasonable under close enough examination."

"Yeah, I got my house free, so what? If their lawyer had paid close enough attention to the contract, he'd have seen the loophole."

"When it all comes down to it, justice has nothing to do with the law. Justice is when a Father goes out and kills the man who raped his daughter. He's done the world a service by getting a child mollester off of the streets. The Law is when the child mollestors family sues the man and his family for everything they own in a wrongful death suit, and wins."

Notice I didn't call them friends? Still wonder why it might be dangerous to help someone?

Why blame lawyers?

If con is the opposite of pro, then what is the opposite of progress??? You guessed it.

The USA was built on the free enterprise system and yet we slander those who actually do something about it. Go figure.

Seabear70:
I know a couple of trial lawyers, and here's a few quotes from them about their profession.

"You can make a lot of money, if you are willing to have no consience, no morals, and no ethics. If you have any of those, you can't be in this business."

they are lying to themselves, probably to justify the
way they practice by saying "everybody does it this way."

well... i have news for them (and you): this is not the case.

i have no respect for these lawyers. thankfully, they are
a minority. most, if not almost all, of the lawyers i know are
ethical, hard-working, and men and women of their word.

in fact, the bad apples (and everybody knows who they are
and don't trust them further than they can be thrown)
just highlight how amazingly professional most lawyers are.

remember, these people have two choices. they can say

1. i am a horrible lawyer in a profession full of good lawyers

or

2. all lawyers are horrible, so i am not that bad

which do you think they are going to say?

also, seriously, dude... do some thinking. the world is not
black and white. it's not that easy.

H2Andy:
also, seriously, dude... do some thinking. the world is not
black and white. it's not that easy.

I know, but seriously, when was the last time you ever heard about a trial lawyer doing something good?

What do we hear about?

A trial lawyer convinces a woman to sue McDonalds for a million dollars over her own stupidity, the woman wins, but the judgement is reduced by an appeals court. The woman winds up unemployed, unemployable, and in debt for thousands of dollars to her Lawyer. The lawyer realizes this is good pres because if he can get a judgement for a million dollars, even one reduced on appeal, for that kind of assinine ****, then everyone's gonna want him on their side.

Or, how about a man rushes to a wrecked car, possibly risking his own life. He may have quite possibly saved the life of a man who then later sues him for the injuries he recieved in the wreck? Who filed the papers for that one?? That's right, a Trial Lawyer.

Open up a paper. It seems every day there's more and more bad press for you great guys. Why is everybody picking on you? If you consider probably over half of America has never been in a court room, and the other half probably won their cases, then that only leaves at most a quarter of America having lost to y'all.

Or does it?

Ever read the stickers on a ladder?

What moron really needs to be told that he should not set up a ladder in frozen Manure? I know exactly why that sticker is there, and the guy who did it was an Idiot! And once again, everybody thought he got rich when the vast majority of the money was taken by the lawyer.

Do not ask me to feel any pitty for a trial lawyer. I am not a moron. I am not a sucker. I am not a client.

Seabear70:
I know, but seriously, when was the last time you ever heard about a trial lawyer doing something good?

What do we hear about?

yeah... and we know the press gets everything right

and good news sells newspapers

please

sounds like you've made up your mind, no need to bother with facts

again, i am amazed at what a simplistic, black and white world you seem to live in

H2Andy:
sounds like you've made up your mind, no need to bother with facts

Right back at ya babe...

One of us has a personal stake in this doesn't he?

But seriously, Here's a question for you...

If you had a client that you knew beyond a doubt was wrong/guilty, Yet he had not confessed to you, what would you do?

Have you even checked into the MacDonald's law suit?

I felt the same way as you did until I learned a few facts. The REAL story

She was NOT driving the car.

She DID get third degree burns.

McDonald's did it's normal knee-jerk reaction when it got complaints about cold coffee... it cranked up the temp of the coffee so that it was unreasonably hot.

Thank goodness for lawyers who have kept these corporate idoits on their toes!

well, no need to hijack the O2 poll with this lawyer talk, so
let's start it here.

i do have a personal stake in it. but (surprise!) so do you... you have your beliefs about lawyers at stake, and your beliefs are pretty darn personal... so you too have a personal stake

as to your question, it is unbelievably broad. guilty of what? of missing a child support payment? of murder? wrong in what? in failing to post an OSHA bulletin? in knowingly
selling poisoned food to children?

but, as a general rule, my job is to advise my client of

(a) what the law is
(b) what the consequences of a past action are
(c) what the consequences of future actions may be
(d) the best way, under existing law, to solve the problem

i am prohibited by the attorney-client privilege from divulging what my client
tells me. i also can not assist my client in committing a crime. i can not
present testimony i know to be false to a tribunal, as i have a duty to the tribunal
(i.e. courts) as well.

ultimately, my only real option is to stop representing my client.

and you are truly in another planet if you think i am going to compromise my ethics for
anybody, client or no client.

i mean, come on, guy... there are ethical and unethical people in all professions,
from doctors to priests (oh yeah... priests are ALL good.. they don't rape children)

dude... i can't even believe i'm having this conversation. this is like reality 101

NetDoc:
Have you even checked into the MacDonald's law suit?

I felt the same way as you did until I learned a few facts. The REAL story

She was NOT driving the car.

She DID get third degree burns.

McDonald's did it's normal knee-jerk reaction when it got complaints about cold coffee... it cranked up the temp of the coffee so that it was unreasonably hot.

Thank goodness for lawyers who have kept these corporate idoits on their toes!

Well, then there comes in the rest of the story...

I'm not sure where to find this on the net, but a while back I saw an interview with this woman. On appeal, the whole thing was reduced to the point where due to the paper work she signed with the lawyer, she owed him thousands. She lost her her job, she was actually employed despite her age, and was unable to find work due to being considered sue happy.

The reason why it got such nationwide attention was because her lawyer made certain that every major news service had a full briefing on the situation.

Further more, sh had not wanted to sue initially, but due to word of mouth, one person told another, and then another, and eventually it got back to a lawyer. This lawyer smelled blood in the water and went in for the kill.

Now, I don't have the Consumer Attorneys of California saying that, but I really don't have a stake in it unless you want to count me being an American.

Seabear70:
I'm not sure where to find this on the net, but a while back I saw an interview with this woman. On appeal, the whole thing was reduced to the point where due to the paper work she signed with the lawyer, she owed him thousands.

this sounds highly improbable, given the rules and regulations
as to what attorneys may or may not arrange with their
clients as to payment (basically, you have contingency or
flat fee, period).

i would ask you to put up or shut up: find the source and get it
right or stop spouting things you half-understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom