Lavacore vs pinnacle vest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LavaCore is by Oceanic. Pinnacle uses Merino wool. Pinnacle now has 2 types of vests. One is 5mm neoprene lined with Merino wool. The other is V-skin which has no neoprene, just a tri-laminate (whatever that is) and Merino wool.

I found this thread because I am trying to find out if anybody has tried the V-skin. I am thinking about getting it to go with a 5mm for the Galapagos. I normally dive 7mm in California and would like less mm for this trip.

ah! my mistake!

but i did get lavacore to replace my old scubapro hoodie... much better...

LavaCore is by Oceanic. Pinnacle uses Merino wool. Pinnacle now has 2 types of vests. One is 5mm neoprene lined with Merino wool. The other is V-skin which has no neoprene, just a tri-laminate (whatever that is) and Merino wool.

I found this thread because I am trying to find out if anybody has tried the V-skin. I am thinking about getting it to go with a 5mm for the Galapagos. I normally dive 7mm in California and would like less mm for this trip.

I recently purchased a Pinnacle V-skin full suit, but have used it so far only as a drysuit undergarment. It's not trilaminate like a dry suit, the material is very similar to Fourth Element's thermocline material, like a thin dense technical fleece with smooth exterior. I love it as an undergarment, it's comfortable and very warm for its thickness, I hardly feel it's on. I think it would work under a 5mm suit but the one I have doesn't really fit under my 5mm, which fits me perfectly - just a bit too much volume underneath. It would be a perfect solution if one had a suit that was a little too large, I can't imagine buying a new suit to fit over it.

I am about to try the Fourth element thermocline vest under the 5mm to add a bit of core warmth for warm water cave diving, I can let you know how that works. They make a variety of pieces for different layering options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom