Lauderdale by the Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think most boat operations even mention the flag in KL because it's just something they handle for you.

Assuming the boat is anchored. If not anchored then different.

Went out with Ocean Divers. There were two of us. Captain said want to do some thing different. We said sure and did a drift dive on the outside of molasses. Boat gave us a flag. I had an SMB and my instabuddy did not so he got to tow the flag.

Also did a couple drift dives with a six pack on outer molasses. I towed the flag on one of the dives but then I was doing a drift dive cert so I briefed and led the dive.

LTBS Beach Diving Viz. I've done 5 beach dives in the last month at LTBS and viz was around 20 feet on most. On one it was only 15 feet, but the winds were whipping up pretty well. On two dives we had viz around 30 feet at the end of the pier (middle of first reef), which wasn't bad. Currents are variable, so take wind and current into consideration when planning entry/exit so you don't need to lunk you gear a block or two down the beach back to Datura. Not hard to take a compass sighting before you descend and the north/south axis of the reef (and of the sand ripple pattern) are useful nav aids. Saw two nurse sharks lazying around the last time. No lobster that close it. Pretty fish by the concrete cannon balls on the scuba trail, and more deeper out. Check the tide tables; it's no Blue Heron stringency, but high slack likely has the clearest water. Rain will muddle the waters. Ya know, the basics regarding viz on a shallow dive...Bring a dive flag. Tie it off if but stay in range of it if it's too much trouble to tow around (sarcasm).

Boat diving Broward, Palm Beach. It's all drift diving--you need a flag unless you're being babysat in a large group huddled around a DM with a flag. Be smart and carry a DSMB (on-surface noise-maker not a bad idea)--buddy separations occur, waves can preclude seeing your buddy's flag or the boat on the surface, and you probably don't want to drift to North Carolina or farther. The only non-babysat no-flag diving in the Gulf Stream is if your boat is tied off to an anchoring buoy atop a wreck or other fixed site, or is otherwise anchored. For drifters, one in the group carries the flag. Some operators allow solo diving; you carry the flag. Some nearshore sites in Broward/Palm Beach get busy with boat traffic so you want to be seen. If hunting, you can anchor your flag on the bottom while you go about your business locally, but try to stay upcurrent so you don't separate from your marker. Here, a DSMB is an additional level of safety. Night diving. On wrecks there are often tie-offs and you can descend the buoy line without a flag. No respectable operator is going to let you jump from their boat on a night drift/reef dive if you are not carrying a) a flag; b) a DSMB; and c) adequate functional lighting.

Yes, toting a flag around is yet one more task, sometimes extra annoying in choppy seas, especially when carrying a spear, lobster gear, camera, and flashlight. But the waters up around Boston are a little chilly this time of year, so you don't want to be the one to drift your way that far just to find out.

Florida requires a FLORIDA COMPLIANT dive flag. Larger than many states, with a Florida-compliant WIRE to hold up the far corner. So check what you've got or else plan to buy one there. The FWC rarely cuts anyone any slack. And yes, that applies to snorkelers as well. IIRC the dive shops in that area will also rent a dive float cheap, sometimes lend it out for free if you're getting fills from them, etc. Call Gold Coast or someone in the area to ask about it. (They also schedule meet-ups in the area.)

A lot of good posts here.. but op has checked out.
I dive there A LOT amongst other places. I dive solo 99% of the time, so do the math. Totin a bouy is no big deal, and mine is yyuge.
Once one dives here, you understand the inherent risk of boat traffic and gladly tote one. Yes, some boaters dunno wtf it is, but most comply.

You shoot a dmsb at all?

Your choice, but you are ruling out a lot of good diving.

There's a hell of a lot of great/fantastic diving that doesn't require being chained to an entanglement hazzard. I'll spend my money there.

And, yep, I can/wil shoot a SMB when needed. Would a big SMB saying "DIVER BELOW" quaify?

And, yep, I can/wil shoot a SMB when needed. Would a big SMB saying "DIVER BELOW" quaify?
And if it did, how would that be different from carrying a flag?

My DMSB is for the unlikely event that I separate from my team's or solo flag, or from surface crew vision. Not unwise, and minimal drag stuffed into a BC pocket. Also tote an inflator air horn and regular whistle. Without a flag, if our currents, you change neighborhoods quickly and unnoticed.

With you that toting a flag is yet another task to load atop hunting or picture taking, but you can tie it off.

If this has devolved into a carry a flag/don't need no flag opinion piece, then that's rather unproductive.

And if it did, how would that be different from carrying a flag?

Because I wouldn't shoot the %$@&** thing untill I was ready to surface.

Boat diving Broward, Palm Beach. It's all drift diving--you need a flag unless you're being babysat in a large group huddled around a DM with a flag.

Babysat?? Nonsense...I've drifted out of Jupiter plenty. The ops I go out with drop in a DM/guide/flag "toter". You dive "somewhat" near the flag with the emphasis on "somewhat." If you don't see the flag toter at your stop, you shoot a bag. No big deal. Act like an adult, like you've been there before, and you're basically doing your own thing. Never dragged (or was dragged by) a flag there. I guess you can if you want. Independent shore dive...different story. You get to drag the flag. :)

These shore dives are shallow, like 15-30 feet, so you don’t have a lot of line out on your flag, which makes it much easier to deal with. The biggest hassle is just carrying it in and out of the water. Sure, boat diving is nicer in many ways, but it ain’t free, or on your schedule, unlimited time, or in most cases allowing solo.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom