Lauderdale by the Sea shore dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anybody up for a Wednesday night paddle? All American Kayak, the meetup group....Ft. Lauderdale, George English Park. 7:00 PM

HI Debby! Remember me on the night dive at ITK 2008 (I think) with my black light that made the corals fluoresce into neon green? Still doing it - just got back from Grand Cayman and did two night dives and even the anemones fluoresced brilliantly. Even saw orange and red fluorescence.

I've been reading this thread, and waiting to hear what FloridaNewbe thought about BHB, only to find out they hadn't done it yet. So I am encouraging them now to not miss it. Its truly is one of my favorites down there - especially for someone like me that is mesmerized by looking for little exotic critters and wants instant gratification.

We might come down the week after Christmas with a bunch of friends and do BHB again.

HI Debby! Remember me on the night dive at ITK 2008 (I think) with my black light that made the corals fluoresce into neon green? Still doing it - just got back from Grand Cayman and did two night dives and even the anemones fluoresced brilliantly. Even saw orange and red fluorescence.

I've been reading this thread, and waiting to hear what FloridaNewbe thought about BHB, only to find out they hadn't done it yet. So I am encouraging them now to not miss it. Its truly is one of my favorites down there - especially for someone like me that is mesmerized by looking for little exotic critters and wants instant gratification.

We might come down the week after Christmas with a bunch of friends and do BHB again.
Of course I remember you and that dive, it was incredibly cool and weird! I think BHB would be breathtaking with your lighting system. Let me know if you and your pals do come down this winter!

Sorry for the yak q's I could have looked them up but i figured you'd straighten me out. We like to through the suits on in the water when boat diving and it is rough.
Question for LBTS, I hear there is a a third reef, how far out past the second is it. We have pretty much covered the whole second reef. Is that where you yak out to?
We had a big conversation, the wife and me, about this over breakfast. I definately see draws if you are doing the third reef. We did 5 dives this weekend with max time 2hr 15 minutes with me having 700 psi and wife having 1000 psi left with the farthest being second reef,
We usually head staright out t there and end up arriving with 31 or 3200psi. We check it out till about 1500 and then head into the cheese area. I don't dstay long on first reef. Not as clear and I like the bigger fish further out.

I am still going to BHB but that is a one day for us I think. Didn't want to fight the crowds...like the sea to myself. LOL. Just joking!

What depth did you have on the second reef?

I'm just asking because sometimes people consider the rubble reef the first reef. The first reef line is about two pier lengths off shore, 10-25 ft depth, the second reef line is about 30-40 ft depth. The third reef line is an ambitious shore dive, a little over a mile, with a good chance of being run over by a boat.

Last edited:
Lots of discussions about what is the 1st, 2nd or 3rd reef.

I consider the "3rd reef" to be the one in 60-90' of water. I don't yak out that far but Chug has and so have a few others. I don't yak dive LBTS, I yak dive further south just north of Sunrise Boulevard. It's all the same reef system, though. I like it about 7/10ths of a mile offshore in that area.

I'm doing BHB Friday July 30, wanna join me? Need to be in the water by about 11 a.m.-ish.

So who's diving where this weekend?

I'm diving the Fort Lauderdale Erojacks Friday night. Looking for a quick beach dive Sunday morning as I have an event to attend Sunday afternoon. Gold Coast has a few scheduled.

Saturday nite dive at the bridge sponsored by Force E on Blue Heron Blvd. Check with the store, but that's what I got in an email from Force E. We plan on going, must do paperwork and pick up parking pass by 6:15PM at the store. Hi tide is at 8:17PM

If we get in about 7:45, should be dark by the time we get out.................

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom