Lauderdale-by-the-Sea beach entry location

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Upwelling

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone know the street intersection that's very close to the main diving entry point for this beach? thanks!

Well, Marvel or MikeJacobs could give you an exact address, but Hibiscus Ave. and El Mar Dr. would be a good start. If you're looking for a major intersection, then Commercial (Rt.870) and N. Ocean Dr. (A1A) works. From there, go two blocks south and turn east until you hit the beach.

-Rob

If you follow Rab's directions to get to Ocean Dr., you can pretty much go up or down that road (north or south) upto 4 blocks for good access to that general reef line. Sometimes the small lots are full (metered, bring quarters $1/hr), there is a large lot just north of Commercial or you can park on the east side of Ocean Dr directly opposite the entrance, just drop your gear first.

I assume we can show up in the LTBS area and find a shop near the beach to rent tanks, or is that something that should be set up in advance?

There are a couple of LDS's within a mile or so, one is scuba school(s), and i know there is another one, locals can tell you where they are as i dont know - i just go down full :wink: You should be able to walk in and pick up tanks if its like any other FL LDS.

simbrooks:
There are a couple of LDS's within a mile or so, one is scuba school(s), and i know there is another one, locals can tell you where they are as i dont know - i just go down full :wink: You should be able to walk in and pick up tanks if its like any other FL LDS.
Yes, that's right - Scuba School is my preferred shop but there's another on the east side of A1A just south of Commercial. I don't have their number or name but maybe yellow pages would. Do a search from 4200 El Mar Drive 33308 (THE address on the beach) if you want to look it up on Yahoo!. I'd suggest them for convenience unless you want nitrox... then Scuba School on the northwest corner of A1A and Oakland Park Blvd (in the middle of the strip center) is your best option.

Suggestions (sorry if they're too basic for you):

Check conditions with somebody. It's usually pretty good but sometimes not worth the time. It's all very shallow so it gets cloudy with a little surf, which we've had a lot of lately.

Try to get here early. Your best parking is on Datura, though Hibiscus and Commercial both have metered spots as well. Parking become a real hassle after 10 am during the summer months on weekends. Otherwise, no problem. BRING QUARTERS. You wll get ticketed if you're late! I think Datura has a better first reef, but it's all approximately equal.

Gear up on pavement and walk into the water - don't put your gear down on the sand during entry or exit. Put your mask on when your feet are in the water, carry your fins out about chest high and put them on in the water (BC filled).

Kick out on your back about 25 yards past the "tin can" bouys before dropping down. When you hit the first reef you'll KNOW it because there are huge honeycombs in the coral. It's various grades of sand & rubble before and after the first reef. Many of us enjoy the first reef most. I've seen more life there than out farther. You have to go slowly and focus to catch the really cool stuff - slipper lobster and octopus! Raise your head on the way out and in occasionally to look for turtles.

The second reef line is another 100 or so yards after the first, separated by a long stetch of sand. It's a nice enough reef that some of the dive boats do it for the 2nd tank after the deep dive elsewhere.

The third reef line pretty much requires a kayak or super-swimmer. I won't go into that now.

It's all very shallow and you can pop up to get your bearings. Just note the pier and a building when you enter. We normally go into current and drift back, but the pier next to Datura may prevent this.

Good luck! I'm hoping the next two weekends are AWESOME for shore diving!

A little while back my wife and I took a couple out for their first 2 dives off Datura. Turns out we noticed his mask was busted when we were chin deep. I gave him my mask and sat out the 1st dive. During the SI he and I walked over to that lds near Commerical. It's name was something like "deep blue" or "blue sea". Man - the cheapest mask they had was anything but cheap (price-wise). While he and the clerk were talking I came across a used mask which he ended up buying for something like $35.

I'd recommend stopping by FillExpress, rent your tanks there and ask for the handout of the Datura beach site. (Or you can pull it down off their site).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom