Latin Phrases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It occurs to me, where are you getting this tattoo anyway? Some of these phrases seem to need a full-body wraparound. Maybe two or three Latin words...kind of like a motto?

Ubi subi ubi

(where under where; say it quickly :wink: )

Tempus fugit - Time flies

Carpe Diem - Sieze the day

Tauraus excretum por infinitum - Bull***** forever

The est and est are not necessary (implied) so:

"qua mare, mea libertate"

My latin is also fairly rusty, but hey, you could be getting what you think is a really cool chinese symbol for strength and it actually says "little girly man"

Have fun...
H2Andy:
where the sea is, there is my freedom:

qua mare est, libertas mea est

my heart belongs to the sea:

pectus meus mare illa

my latin translation is very rusty. take these with a grain of salt.

The most important phrase
Adonde es el banjo?

The most favorite to hear
ey papi!

Particuarly apt for a diver: Dum spiro, spero: While I breathe, I hope. -Cicero
Balaenae nobis conservandae sunt! Save the whales!

I've always been a big fan of the Scottish National Motto:

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Variously translated: No one harms me without impunity
None may harm me without vengence (which I prefer)

Some one mentioned it earlier but I've always seen "Don't let the Bas@##@ds keep (or grind) you down as:Illegitimati non carborundum
which is a little shorter.

The motto of Hogwarts: Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus - Never Tickle a Sleeping Dragon.

If you want to get Ceasarian about it you could go with: Veni, Vidi, Vici (I came, I saw , I conquered) or perhaps Veni, Vidi, Vegi ( I came, I saw, I ordered the salad) or Perhaps Veni, Vidi, Dormi (I came, I saw, I took a nap)

Nihil agere delectat: It is pleasant to do nothing. -Cicero
Non est vivere sed valere vita est: life is more than just being alive -Anon
Non scholae sed vitae discimus: We do not learn from school, but from life. -Seneca
Semper idem: Always the same thing. Alternately: Same Sh@$&#@ different day. -Cicero
Potest ex casa magnus vir exire: A great man can come from a hut. -Seneca
Omnia mea mecum porto: All that is mine, I carry with me. Alternately: My wisdom is my greatest wealth -Cicero
Tempus fugit: Time Flys

And of course the ever popular: Tua mater tam antiquior ut linguam latine loquatur: Your mother is so old she speaks Latin

ItsBruce:
Gelatinum en aborum pungare non potas.
"You can't nail jello to a tree."

It is wrong that I have never wanted a tatoo in my life but I now want to put this across my back from shoulder to shoulder?

What about the Ghostbusters quote, We came we saw we kicked it's *****???

Veni, Vedi, kicked it's *****??? (sorry, didn't take Latin)

diverdan214:
--snip--

If you want to get Ceasarian about it you could go with: Veni, Vidi, Vici (I came, I saw , I conquered) or perhaps Veni, Vidi, Vegi ( I came, I saw, I ordered the salad) or Perhaps Veni, Vidi, Dormi (I came, I saw, I took a nap)

--snip--

Back
Top Bottom