Latex allergy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a Bare Trilam and love it. You can get it with either latex or neoprene seals, but I'm not sure of the latex content in the neoprene.

It's self donning, and has a system called ATR (automatic torso recoil) to take up slack.

Let me tell you about the first day that I went diving with this drysuit. I thought I was hot s**t before this dive. We went in a small local pond ( the one with the jellyfish if joewr is around) and I saw the surface at least 4 times more than I had planned on! My son had a great time laughing at me floating upside down when the air got into my boots! Not to mention when I got anywhere above 20 ft, I just kept going to the top.

I guess what I'm trying to tell you is that you should DEFINATELY take some lessons. There are some quirks when diving dry. A good instructor will be able to get you thru many of them without too much frustration. It does get better on every dive, and I'm glad I did some shallow depths for my first dives.

Let us know how you make out.

Hey Tracy,

Another thing to consider is if you ever go to the coast - like WA or CA - ALL dive shops up here stocks at least a couple of difgferent lines of dry suits - neoprene and trilam... Many shops in will have demo days where you will have the option to try out different suits - see the fit of off the rack suits and talk to reps who knows what custom will do for you...

And really - you should have a shop guy take your regulator setup apart and show you all the rubber in there - I think the hoses might have latex too??? There is a lot to think of with that issue.

Big T

<B>(Edited to bring this up to date with our current manufacturing standards)<B>
The majority of people that suffer from latex allergies are only allergic to natural latex ... the stuff that they make medical gloves and surgical tubing out of. We (OS Systems) use some stuff that is triple leached to remove proteins (the component that is thought to give the reaction).

While I can't say that you definitely won't have a reaction to our stuff, many people that do have the same problem have told us that they had no reactions. You may want to try wearing a wrist seal for a couple of hours and see if you get a reaction. Any dive shop can order OS Systems seals for you to try and they may even lend you one if it means that they may make a drysuit sale.

Just an idea!

Ray
http://www.ossystems.com

I got a reaction from my wetsuit also, but it's very old so who knows what it's made of. Trying out a wetsuit is a great idea, I will try to do that next time I go somewhere like San Diego. Are there any good books on using the suit too?

Keep in mind that most all the neoprene out ther is made with latex of some sort. If you go to San Diego there is a shop - I forget the name, but I will find it for you.

Big T

Try Ocean Enterprises in SD. Most to offer on display I've seen in that area. Get a manager to talk to though, watch out for the "clerks". Also maybe Ocean Planet in Tempe, I think I remember a supply there as they like to dive out of Catalina. In fact most of the dive shops in Tucson/ Phoenix sell something, just may not have the price or experience.

adios don O

There IS such a thing as latex-free neoprene, I just don't know if there are any wetsuit companies that use it. See the following link:

http://www.allheart.com/welallatneop.html

What type of reaction do you get to the latex? Is it an immediate urticarial-type reaction or is it a more eczematous delayed (2-3 days) hypersensitivity type reaction?

If the former, it MIGHT help to simply premedicate with Zyrtec or Allegra and then make sure you rinse off as soon as you can after diving. If the latter, there is a cream called Ivy block which might work. it is meant to be applied before going out in the woods to prevent the Rhus protein from the Poison Ivy plants from penetrating through to your skin. Not sure if it would work in the water -- would probably depend upon the amount of water that pumped in and out of your wet suit.

Another possibility for the latter problem would be to coat yourself with a mild steroid ointment such as Elocon ointment prior to donning the wetsuit.

Best, of course, would be to avoid the latex if you can.

Thank you. I usually break out the next day but it is a red,vesicular rash. Not urticarial. I do take an antihistamine before diving (allegra) so that my account for no more immediate reaction. So far I'm not terribly allergic, only had an all over breakout once. If I wear latex gloves more than an hour working I break out. If I wash immediately after it does help. I have never heard of the ivy block but will give it a try. The elocon idea is excellent too. I usually use the steroid after the fact, never tried it as a preventative. I will look at the latex free wetsuits. Do they make dry suits too? :doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom