Late June - Where to go from Singapore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeremyl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am doing a ~3+ wk trip to Bali, including a 10 day LOB to Komodo with 1wk diving before/after. I fly thru Singapore on miles, and I am not thinking I want to spend some more time visiting another region. Its sooo expensive and time consuming traveling from US to SE Asia that I want to extend this trip.

I have been to Lembeh, Bunaken in Indo, and Coron, Tubataha & PG in Philippines. Looking for something new, that is easy(ish) to get to from Bali or Singapore, and something that will be in peak season. I could go before or after the Bali trip (which is June 1-25). I was thinking a ~1wk-ish. What would be the best destination.

Note I plan to dive Raja Ampat this winter. I do love the muck, but also love beautiful coral. Not really a wreck-seeker. Not looking for luxury... just great diving at one of the worlds best sites :)

Malaysia has some superb diving, and you can't get much closer than Singapore.

Sipidan Island is firmly on my bucket list.

1151916575052538352s425x425q852.jpg

Ambon, easy connections from Bali.

Ambon I am leaving for the RA trip at the end of the year, but I see it is prime season for Sipidan, so I think if I can get that to work that will be the way. Def on my bucket list as well. Just need to see if I can make it happen (I know its limited divers so I need to see if I can get in with a resort that has permits).

Also - I can't seem to find it but thought it would exist... is there a Buddy Finder section on here? I would love to hook up with someone for this trip (~May 19-25 Bali, ~May 26-June ? Sipidan) and for my RA trip (open to anytime 2012/13 season).

Also - I can't seem to find it but thought it would exist... is there a Buddy Finder section on here? I would love to hook up with someone for this trip (~May 19-25 Bali, ~May 26-June ? Sipidan) and for my RA trip (open to anytime 2012/13 season).

Pretty sure there is, but it is geographically driven (ie. finding buddies near where you live) - finding someone to go away on a trip with you - I don't think there is a function for that.

Malapascua in the Philippines. You can arrive on Cebu Pacific at 4am in Cebu (Or tiger Airways at a civilzed time), get a transfer and be on the island by 730. Breakfast and three dives the same day. May and June is a great time there. Guide books brood about typhoon but the reality is (99% of the time) flat seas and much less wind then other times in the year like Peak Season January which is not great weather but everyone goes anyway.

Malapascua offers the only Thresher Shark encounter around but also endless walls, reefs, much sites and of course Gato Island, Kalanggaman Island etc. Its a lot different to PG - laid back tropical island, enough choice for drinks and food to keep you going for a week but not hectic in anyway.

Malaysia has some superb diving, and you can't get much closer than Singapore.

Sipidan Island is firmly on my bucket list.

View attachment 117039

Just got back from Sipadan early this month. Even though it was not peak season, it was still amazing, there was still 30m+ visibility and lots to see. You could also try Layang Layang, hammerheads, viz up to 60m, supposed to have lots more to see. Its next on my bucket list, but will be in Malapascua early may, i have never been to either, but have heard although you can fly to cebu easily, you still have 3+ hours to get to malapascua from the cebu airport.

Hi Hike

Give me a shout if you need help organising your Malapascua visit.

Here to help!
Thanks for the offer, but my friends who are also going have a long standing relationship with tsd, otherwise, I would take you up on the offer. How are the thresher sightings recently? Also, how likely are we to encounter hammerheads in the end of April, beginning of may?

How about East Timor! About a 2 hr and $100 flight from Bali. Awesome muck plus nice reefs. Hardly any dive tourism and you'll likely be the only diver at most sights. Stay and dive right from Dili. I always dive with Dive Timor Lorosae www.divetimor.com

Back
Top Bottom