Last minute trip - DM & OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have to perform tank measurements and dives to qualify.

Weird. Here in the US, it’s an usually academic class with no dives. You analyze tanks but that’s it.

Weird. Here in the US, it’s an usually academic class with no dives. You analyze tanks but that’s it.
Actually may be I'm being daft and it's not a req to log them but because of how we always taught when I used to work (Nitrox sold with 2 dives) we would have them analyse tanks the day before and dive them the first two dives and give them the cert after ... do apologise if I'm wrong and if there is an instructor who can confirm that would be sweet.

Also any PADI shops you know in Cabilao you would recommend ? I really don't care too much but have PADI materials and might as well keep her going with that
Cabilao divers at Sanctuary beach resort.They're SSI quite similar to PADI, mail Lorraine at the shop or on facebook whether they do PADI courses. (they do all sorts of Tek as well)
They're the ones I used, flexible, nice people, almost the only person on their boats.
re-EAN40 cert you HAVE to get 2 dives to get a cert from PADI SSI or IANTD : you can take the academics and theory separately but then you have to refer to a certified dive center to stamp 2 Nx dives with the matching agency instr.

Cabilao divers at Sanctuary beach resort.They're SSI quite similar to PADI, mail Lorraine at the shop or on facebook whether they do PADI courses. (they do all sorts of Tek as well)
They're the ones I used, flexible, nice people, almost the only person on their boats.
re-EAN40 cert you HAVE to get 2 dives to get a cert from PADI SSI or IANTD : you can take the academics and theory separately but then you have to refer to a certified dive center to stamp 2 Nx dives with the matching agency instr.
Thank you for confirming!
will drop them a line today but may be a bit late now :)

Boris - thank you as well ! What's your opinion re OW sites there vs other areas ? Threshers would be good but I would skip them for better biodiversity and overall feel of the place.

There are more to Malapasqua then just Threshers.

I would head to S Leyte, lots of dive site options and chance to see whale sharks. Peter's resort had pretty good guides when I was there. They were very accommodating. So both of you can enjoy.

Actually may be I'm being daft and it's not a req to log them but because of how we always taught when I used to work (Nitrox sold with 2 dives) we would have them analyse tanks the day before and dive them the first two dives and give them the cert after ... do apologise if I'm wrong and if there is an instructor who can confirm that would be sweet.

No diving reqd for Nitrox, you just need to analysis tanks and fill out tank logs and mark up tanks.

3.5 days is pushing it for OW - putting pressure on Student. Sure it can be done but I prefer CW 1&2 the first day, then CW 3-5 on the 2nd (CW 3 is a busy one so the student needs to be fresh) then 2 days of OW

Let her get some fun dives in before pushing AoW I find its better to allow students to consoladate what they have learnt, practise a bit then figure out what their problem areas are then jumping from one course straight to another

Fact: There are 2 optional dives for the PADI Enriched Air course. PADI now allows certification with no dives. I remember being required to do dives for my certification many years ago.
The option is for the instructor, not the student. If the instructor requires the dives you must do them for the certification. The option the instructor chooses will be reflected in the cost.

Fact: There are 2 optional dives for the PADI Enriched Air course. PADI now allows certification with no dives. I remember being required to do dives for my certification many years ago.
The option is for the instructor, not the student. If the instructor requires the dives you must do them for the certification. The option the instructor chooses will be reflected in the cost.

OK thanks for the information, I didn't know that has changed now from PADI. Probably my friends got their PADI certification a while ago too.

As for facts : I am EAN40 IANTD certified from 2001 (I was the first diver certified in France for IANTD EAN40 btw).
And IANTD EAN40 course still says now:
  • Program Content
  1. Lecture
  2. Program covers all EANx mixes from 21% to a maximum of 40% oxygen, emphasizing the use of EAN 32 and EAN 36.
  3. All divers must perform a minimum of two dives on an EANx mixture of between 24 and 40% oxygen.

I think my reply might come a bit late but I am wondering if you looked into Coron as an option. There are daily direct flights from Cebu with PAL. The town itself is a bit busy but within a few minutes (by boat or land), you can be on some pretty cool, calm in-the-nature areas (it is still a small town though - quite lively - nice mix of locals and travelers - and some really delicious Filipino food in town!). The diving around there is quite diverse and there are tons of non-diving activities to keep you busy. I think a DM like yourself could be challenged while there are still good sites for a beginner. Siete Pecados is a diving site with a pretty coral reef and easy conditions for beginners; they also have dives at barracuda lake for a change of scene - as you go deeper, the water gets warmer and warmer. Of course the big draw in Coron are the WWII wrecks that are all over the bay (boat travel from around 30 minutes to 2 hours) - there are some smaller ones that aren't too deep that a beginner could be happy to dive around while advanced divers can enjoy deeper dives penetrating into the wrecks. As everything is in the bay, I didn't encounter any currents. Top-side there are tons of places to see - islands to visit, various "lakes", a trip to the north of Busuanga Island to snorkle with dugongs. From there, I did a five-day island-hopping/camping expedition with Tao down to El Nido - you likely won't have time to do that - but they do have an island camp not too far from Coron city (Camp Ngey Ngey) and have trips as short as 2 days/2 nights. A pretty cool experience (we stopped over there for a few hours on our expedition and wish we could have stayed!) I did 5 dives with Corto Divers and can highly recommend them. They are a very small outfit (so booking asap is important) with highly experienced local DMs and foreign instructors - dive groups are very small and classes seemed even smaller! They also have a chef on board their dive boats who cooks up an amazing, fresh lunch on board - so tasty. They had high quality gear for rent and a really lovely family-feel to the experience. No factory whatsoever. The dive day ends with all the students and divers assembling back at the shop to fill out their log books as the manager/instructors pour out cold beers. I imagine this would be a fabulous shop to start out a new life of diving.
Anyway, enjoy Philippines - wherever you end up!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom