Last Minute to Grand Cayman, Sunset House??...Need Advice Quickly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2JAX

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We had a 2 week trip planned to Cozumel and were set to leave this Tuesday. What the people there have gone through there is truly heartbreaking. Since we do have trip insurance and time off work we're trying to salvage a week of diving. We're coming form Montana so it isn't easy to get anywhere without a lot of planning or $$$. It looks like we could get ourselves to Grand Cayman and maybe stay at the Sunset House. I've read countless posts aboout the Sunset House here, but still have some questions since we have never been to Grand Cayman. I read a lot about diving on the northeast side, but we really don't want to be isolated. We want to be able to walk places such as restaurants and shops. What types of restaurants and more importantly are there reasonable ($) ones within walking distance from the SH? How much are the meals at SH or other restaruants? The accomodations look very basic which is OK as long as it is very clean. Is it? How do they compare to say Scuba Club or CoCo View if anyone knows? Are the types of businessess in Georgetown similar to say staying near the cener of Cozumel? Is there somewhere else we should stay on seven mile beach and dive with? The problem is trying to arrange something on such short notice and still be cost effective. Also a lot of posts mentioned that first dives are to 100', why so deep, is that true? One report in the Chapbook said inadequate SI were allowed for. That concerns me, is it true? Please any input would greatly help. Thanks and give some thoughts to the folks in Cozumel and Cancun.

Have never stayed at Sunset House ,understand the rooms are kind of Motel 6,but OK. If you are planning on eating out all the time take a LOT of money!!! Personally I would never consider staying anywhere on Cayman that does not have cooking facilities.

The walls typically start at around 50-60 feet so 100 feet puts you over the wall and down a bit. SI are typically 45 minutes. I would prefer an hour but the Dive Ops know what they are doing.

Shore diving at Sunset House is pretty nice and they have a great open air bar

I have only been to Cayman once and it was b 4 I was certified. My borther is there now working and i am trying to get in touch with him. Reason: My sister, BF, and myself were to arrive in Cozumel/Cancun Thurs.
so we are in the same boat as u scrambling around trying to figure out what 2 do and where to go. If u get any information would u be so kind as to forward it 2 me. I will do the same 4 u. Good luck.

I have stayed at Sunset House twice - I love it & would go back in a heartbeat. Walking from the Hotel is easy to Georgetown, maybe a mile at the most. Don't remember a lot about the resturants - we ate here and there. Some insteresting shopping in Georgetown. The Resturant at Sunset is a little pricey and more European than I care for but good for breakfast. BUT the sandwiches at My Bar on the grounds are really really good. Be sure and get a Conch burger.

Cathy Church has her photo shop and studio is there (under the Lobby) a must see. The shore diving there is good - not a lot of reef to see but very easy in and out. It is about a 10 ft drop and good ladder to get out with. The mermaid is about 100 ft out. Eden Rock another very good dive site (easy diving) is between Georgetown and Sunset House.

The Sunset Dive Shop's boats go out around 8:00 am with 2 dives and 1 pm dive in the afternoon. Unlimited shore diving. Stingray City is a must dive IMO - only 12 ft but the interaction with the Rays are amazing. Beware they will give you a good bruise/hickey if they catch you with some snacks for them. I have quite a scar from one she took quite a chunk of skin - it is now my "Red Badge of Courage".

When are you leaving? I have never stayed at Sunset House, but have driven by it a number of times and thought "What a neat place to stay next time." Georgetown is small, but does have touristy type shops and numerous restaurants. I think you will enjoy being in this area of GC. When the cruise ships come in, it does get a little crowded, but you should be out either diving or visiting other sites during their arrival.

I would suggest (strongly) renting a car, especially if you will be there for two weeks. I have only been to GC six or seven times, but never had any trouble with car rentals or getting around the island. (not to say that I have not gotten turned around once or twice). The car is almost a necessity if you want to go to the grocery store or take advantage of diving on the East End. Throw the gear in the car and go.

You don't have to dive with Sunset House all the time. You can try Red Sails, Ocean Frontiers(East End) or many of the others(Tortuga Divers on the East end). Call a day ahead and book. I have never booked dives for the whole week as I do not want to be tied down to any one dive operation.

Set aside a day or afternoon dive to shore dive from Sunset House, Eden Rock, or drive up the Island to a spot just north of the Turtle Farm. I can't remember the name of the shop but there is very good shore diving from that spot.

I usually start my stay diving the North Side and then the next day the North Wall. Then just get a map of the dive sites and make a request. If you get a chance to do a night dive, don't pass it by.

Surface intervals have always been within the tables and have never been a problem. The DM's in GC are very good, accomadating and safe.

Enjoy yourselves.

As I am sure you have already found out Cayman can be expensive versus Cozumel but there are ways of saving some money. I have been to, but not stayed at Sunset House a couple of times and had some great conversations with Cathy and her husband, awesome people. As you may have seen in my previous posts I am biased to the east side when it comes to saving some money. Food is certainly a big expense and having a kitchenette is critical for me. Foster's food fair and Hurley's are great places to stock up. Though there are a activities on Cayman if you are there for two weeks you'll be able to hit most of them about 5 times at least.

Sunset House is just south of where the crusie ships bring their masses, usually not the most reasonible place on island. I can recommend a definate must do for us on our trips not far from downtown, not walking distance though, is Champion House Two (II) . This place is popular with the locals and with prices much more down to earth. Another I can personally recommend is Cimboco, across from the butterfly farm. Here's a list of restaurants: http://www.caymanrestaurants.com

If you do rent a car check out Andy's they are right near the airport, by far much cheaper than Avis http://www.andys.ky and use this promo code CAG20, it will get you 20% off.

Most Cayman dive operations run two tank profiles of a deep (max 100 ft) and then a reef (40 to 60 ft) in the morning and then again in the afternoon. The wall generally starts out at 70 to 80 feet and so you can go along side the wall. I'm not too sure what was said in the chapboook about SI, but my experience on the island is most are between 50 min to an hour, with more around an hour.

Most of my dives have been with Ocean Froniters http://www.oceanfrontiers.com on the east end, I can say enough about them as a dive op and they do run many trips up to the north east end.

I do understand that you did ask about SH and being in town, but as I'm sure you'll see while all the diving in the CI is awesome, the north and east end get dove less because of proximity to Georgetown and the cruiseships. The east end is booming as much as can be said for the east end. Besides when a you're looking for someplace reasonable on an expensive island it 's hard to find that when you're downtown or just outside.

Hope this is of some help, have a great trip.

I've never stayed at Sunset House, but if you are thinking about dining out a lot, I'd look closer in along Seven Mile Beach (the Westin often has good packages). From Sunset house, its gonna be a bit of hike to and from most of the restaurant choices. Or get a car, which makes the most sense. Cabs are pricey (as are the restaurants!).

If you can find a place where you have some cooking facilities, you'll be able to save some $$. Even just a refrig will allow you to buy some beer, soft drinks, cheese, bread etc. and snack on a much more controlled budget than if you buy these at the bar at whatever hotel you stay at.

We are huge fans of Cobalt Coast. Yes, its away from Seven Mile Beach, but if you get a car, its an easy trip. And they have a breakfast only meal plan that will make life easy in terms of getting something before you dive.

Have a great trip...

sdwho

We certainly have figured out it is a spendy place. We are looking at a one week stay for the price of 2 weeks in Cozumel. It is what is though. From our location, airfare is the most limiting cost and since there are many flights to GC it is a better deal than other places. This food thing is a concern though since the hubby is 6' 4" and interested in quantitiy as opposed to quality. We talked about all the posts and thought of the east end and thought we'd feel isolated or trapped if we didn't get a car. I guess we could get a car, but don't know if driving would be a hassle or not. If at all possible we'd like to walk places. We like to do that anyway. As far as finding places to eat we are most interesed in just getting a sandwich or something like that most of the time. Really how much would a burger cost in a restaurant? How much is a beer? We did contact Cobalt Coast and they only had availablity some nights. As far as restaurants go what are the differences between the seven mile area and George Town? I don't know enough about either to know what we would prefer. Also, how isolated is the East side? We are trying to leave on Wednesday and arrive on Thursday. Thanks for all the input so far, it really does help!!

The East Side is pretty isolated. I would not obtain lodging there without a car. Seven Mile Beach is more honky tonk(for lack of a better word) than Georgetown, more activity and less expensive places to eat. You can get along without a car either in Georgetown or 7 mile beach. I just like to have the option of getting around on my own. The car rentals are not that expensive, and the rental offices are a very short walking distance from the airport. Just put your luggage on a cart and push it over to the rental office. It's all quite easy to get around(just remember to drive on the left). Beer is expensive approximately $ 30.00 Cayman for a case. A beer at a restaurant, maybe $3.50 to $ 4.50 and a burger $5.00 to $ 7.00 (cayman dollars). As is true with any vacation, If you can get a place with a fridge and micorwave you can save a lot.

I really think GC is a good place to have a rental car. Definitely on the East end, but many other places too including SH. They are surprisingly inexpensive compared to many islands, which you might not expect given the place is known for being expensive. I think you would at least break even if not come out ahead, and have a much more enjoyable trip. Even if you can walk some places that will be very limiting wherever you stay - some places more than others. It's good to be able to visit some other areas of the island, do someplace like turtle farm (and very nice to have a car if you want to shore dive at the DiveTech shop next door, which I recommend,) hit the grocery store if you have a frig or anything, or get to more of the inexpensive eating options if you don't.

Driving in Cayman is very easy even though it's on the left. Good roads, and drivers don't seem crazy like some islands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom