Last Minute Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjach

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are leaving for Fantasy Island on 4/24/10. I have a few last minute questions. How much is the departure tax that we have to pay before leaving? Also, are there any type of snacks that we can not bring into the country. We wanted to bring some Pringles, pistachios,granola bars and that type of snacks. As for clothing, shorts, T-shirts, swimming suits and dive gear. I'm guessing I won't need any more than that. I ordered some Cactus Juice, maybe a little late, I hope to get it this week before we leave. I have some other bug repellent that has 100% deet. Do they sell cactus juice at FI? I think that is all the questions I have for now.If not I will have to do without.
Thanks in advance
Jeff

Please don't apply 100% deet to your skin. At least do the research first. All of the outdoorsmen that I know suggest no more than a 30% deet for skin application.

Do you have sunscreen, gravol/seasickness meds, allergic reaction medicine?

Imports? You're good to go with your list- avoid importation of meat or cheeses.

Departure tax was around $36pp cash in March. Off "Deep Outdoors" works perfectly well. 100% deet is not worth the hassle or money. As Doc said, don't worry about snacks, just bring what you want. Bring lots of $1's and 5's for tips.

Have fun!!

The departure tax when we left two weeks ago was about $36 according to the sign. When we got up to the counter though she asked for $76 for the two of us. Not sure what the extra amount was for but I didn't argue since our plane was boarding. I wouldn't have minded having to stay another week, just couldn't afford it! :D
As far as bugs go, I only put on bug spray once the entire week at Fantasy Island. Between the fogging they do every morning and the breeze I did not receive enough bites to make it worth it for me. Have a great time! Looking forward to your trip report.

I'd pack just chewy granola bars, maybe some M&M's

We are leaving for Fantasy Island on 4/24/10. I have a few last minute questions. How much is the departure tax that we have to pay before leaving? Also, are there any type of snacks that we can not bring into the country. We wanted to bring some Pringles, pistachios,granola bars and that type of snacks. As for clothing, shorts, T-shirts, swimming suits and dive gear. I'm guessing I won't need any more than that. I ordered some Cactus Juice, maybe a little late, I hope to get it this week before we leave. I have some other bug repellent that has 100% deet. Do they sell cactus juice at FI? I think that is all the questions I have for now.If not I will have to do without.
Thanks in advance
Jeff

Yes, they sell cactus juice at Fantasy Island. I would highly recommend that you bring some Benadryl cream just in case you need to treat a few bites. Neosporin (or the cheaper equivalent) is also a good idea in case you cut yourself on anything.

Been windy here except for a day or so for the last week, so bugs may not be an issue. Its really blowing today. You might want to throw a few electrical tie-wraps and large safety pins in your bag if you have some. Good to fix a cranky shower head, hold something together (like the curtains) or whatever. Exit taxes now are $38 pp. Your fine on your snacks. Yes, like someone said bring lots of small bills for tips and distribute them throughout the week. With low salaries here, the cleaning and dining staff really appreciate it. They'll also take better care of you! Have fun, enjoy your trip.

Funny that Honduras requires a passport be good for six months beyond the planned exit date, but they do.

The gift shop dive shop both there are well stocked and the prices are ok.

6 month rule on passports is not unusual. FI has lots of food, I don't remember even wanting snacks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom