Last minute advice on Belize dive op

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EL Pistoffo

Contributor
Reaction score
DW and I have an Eastern Caribbean cruise coming up in just under 2 weeks. There may be a possibility with the current storm activity flaring up in the Atlantic that our itinerary will get switched to the Western Caribbean.

If that were to happen I could use a recommendation for a cruise friendly Dive Op in Belize. Not sure how much in advance I would know if cruise plans change so the timing might be tight.

Thx

Depends on your port of call. Do you know where the port of call will be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Likely Belize City

It appears that Sea Sports Belize may be the only dive op there.

The cruise ship's dive op is Hugh Parkey, and they have been very good on the two times we have used them. In Belize, I highly recommend using Hugh Parkey. For starters, they pick you up and drop you back at the ship so you do not have to deal with a tender operation, which can be a challenge in Belize if you are trying to join up with an off-ship dive op. The ship gives tender priority to their shore excursions unless you are high up in their loyalty program. From the ship, they take you to their resort/dive shop to pick up tanks, gear, fill out the paperwork, and take a bathroom break if needed. Then off to some beautiful reefs at Turneffe Atoll for a two tank dive. After the dive, they return to the dive op to drop off tanks, give you time to rinse your gear if you used your own dive gear, and enjoy a courtesty rum punch. Then they return you to the ship. I found the dive crews and captain to be very professional and safety oriented, and the boat was spacious and comfortable. They break the divers into groups of 6-8 divers and they seem to try to pair similar qualified and experienced divers in the same group whenever possible. Also, we did not feel they rushed any of the dives. Just checked my computer dive logs and the dive times ranged from 39 to 51 minutes on AL80s. The shorter dive time was at one dive site where the current was a bit testy, and swimming into the current on the outbound leg used up a lot more air than normal.

The cruise ship's dive op is Hugh Parkey, and they have been very good on the two times we have used them. In Belize, I highly recommend using Hugh Parkey. For starters, they pick you up and drop you back at the ship so you do not have to deal with a tender operation, which can be a challenge in Belize if you are trying to join up with an off-ship dive op. The ship gives tender priority to their shore excursions unless you are high up in their loyalty program. From the ship, they take you to their resort/dive shop to pick up tanks, gear, fill out the paperwork, and take a bathroom break if needed. Then off to some beautiful reefs at Turneffe Atoll for a two tank dive. After the dive, they return to the dive op to drop off tanks, give you time to rinse your gear if you used your own dive gear, and enjoy a courtesty rum punch. Then they return you to the ship. I found the dive crews and captain to be very professional and safety oriented, and the boat was spacious and comfortable. They break the divers into groups of 6-8 divers and they seem to try to pair similar qualified and experienced divers in the same group whenever possible. Also, we did not feel they rushed any of the dives. Just checked my computer dive logs and the dive times ranged from 39 to 51 minutes on AL80s. The shorter dive time was at one dive site where the current was a bit testy, and swimming into the current on the outbound leg used up a lot more air than normal.

Interesting. How long ago did you dive with them? BTW, I do have tender priority.

As long as this new storm Erica clears by the Sept. 5, my trip will stay on its original Eastern itinerary. I'm looking forward to diving Grand Turk.

Thx

Used Hugh Parkey most recently in June 2015 on a dive cruise for our grandson that hit Coz, Roatan, and Belize. Was very happy with Hugh Parkey in Belize, and AKR in Roatan. So-so with Sand Dollar in Coz--would recommend other ops for Coz. In Roatan, we have used AKR (ship's dive op), Barefoot Divers on the south side, and Coconut Tree Divers on the West End. Was happy with all three. If your ship goes into Mahogany Bay in Roatan, Barefoot Divers is about a 10 minute cab ride away.

Used Hugh Parkey most recently in June 2015 on a dive cruise for our grandson that hit Coz, Roatan, and Belize. Was very happy with Hugh Parkey in Belize, and AKR in Roatan. So-so with Sand Dollar in Coz--would recommend other ops for Coz. In Roatan, we have used AKR (ship's dive op), Barefoot Divers on the south side, and Coconut Tree Divers on the West End. Was happy with all three. If your ship goes into Mahogany Bay in Roatan, Barefoot Divers is about a 10 minute cab ride away.
Yeah , we used Barefoot last time we were in Mohagany Bay. Good Op. We used Aldora in Cozumel, great Op and we will be using them again next year.

Back
Top Bottom