Last Flower Gardens Gasp for 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Woop Woop!!! It's a go!!!!! I see a shark in my future.......:shark::yeahbaby::uwphotographer::jaws::sharkattack:

Just got back. Short story, weather held out, diving was great at Flower Gardens and I didn't notice any real effects from Ike. Viz was crystal. Unfortunately, Stetson was devastated and there is a layer of clay over everything, causing poor viz and diminished marine life. It isn't barren though and I really enjoyed my dives there. We saw a lot of moray there. Little or no current and calm seas on all dives, very easy ladder exits. Water was a comfortable 77 degrees but it was friggin cold once you get out though.

Unfortunately it was my turn to sacrifice to Neptune and while I will soak my SP350 in distilled water and hope for a miracle, I will most likely be camera shopping. But it did not detract from the wonderful trip.

Good to finally meet some more guys I've been chatting with online here and other forums.

Wish i had been there. Troy developed a case of Pleurisy while working in Austin, and was unable to dive. He said he would go on the trip, but could not dive. What's the point in that? We are going to try for the February Hammerhead trips.
Glad to hear the weather held, and it is hard to hear that Stetson took a hit. That is my favorite place to dive. Bouy #1 on the East Bank is my second favorite.
Did you see any sharks? The cooler waters should have made for some sightings.

Wish i had been there. Troy developed a case of Pleurisy while working in Austin, and was unable to dive. He said he would go on the trip, but could not dive. What's the point in that? We are going to try for the February Hammerhead trips.
Glad to hear the weather held, and it is hard to hear that Stetson took a hit. That is my favorite place to dive. Bouy #1 on the East Bank is my second favorite.
Did you see any sharks? The cooler waters should have made for some sightings.

I was disappointed not to see you and Troy. We ran into a few sharks including one lone Hammerhead as we descended on the east bank, but only asleeping nurse shark up close. Buoy #1 is gone and I don't know who will be replacing/maintaining moorings. Stetson is also minus buoy #3 (I think) but I thought that was gone in August. I didn't think Stetson was that bad. Vis was a lot better than Stillhouse. "Damage" was a light silting that should get washed away in stronger winter currents. After all, what could nature really do to damage Stetson??

I like your optimism but it only takes a thin layer to smother the coral and disrupt the ecosystem. Yes it will recover but nature often moves on a time scale intolerable to us humans. I didn't mind the lower viz at all, it forces you to move slower and look closer. Like I said, I enjoyed my dives there, it's all relative though.

Not as dissapointed as I was. I did tear up when we had to cancel since I know there are so few trips left. I was particuarly excited about seeing what my consumption rate would be and how I could handle the currents and such with my new workout body/lungs/heart. I exercise 2 hours a day so I was really hoping to get challenged with a good ocean swim, current, or ladder climb. Sounds like it was fairly calm though.
Hopefully the currents will clean up Stetson. When the hurricane went through Cozumel there was wide speculation on the eco system there and the layers of sand on the coral.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom