Lasers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M_Bipartitus:
The laser pointers that are available for underwater use are not capable of damaging your eye without additional focussing, and even then the beam quality is not likely good enough even if focussed

You go first! I suppose the package says that it's approved for direct viewing and recommended by 4 out 5 eye doctors?

do it easy:
You go first! I suppose the package says that it's approved for direct viewing and recommended by 4 out 5 eye doctors?

No That's based on the class 3b designation from the ANSI Laser standard.

Taken from this document

Class 3b lasers can present a hazard if viewed directly. This includes intrabeam viewing of specular reflections.

There are also special warning signs that apply to class 3b lasers. These can be viewed here. OK the signs aren't very legible, but the word DANGER is.

Your eyes, your choice, but it's not something that I would do.

Soggy:
You could strap it to the back of a fricken shark!
or perhaps even on mini me MAHA HAH HA HA HA <insert evil genius laugh>

setup some mirrors inside the reflector that are controlled by piezoelectrics that let you spell your name out...

do it easy:
Taken from this document

Class 3b lasers can present a hazard if viewed directly. This includes intrabeam viewing of specular reflections.

There are also special warning signs that apply to class 3b lasers. These can be viewed here. OK the signs aren't very legible, but the word DANGER is.

Your eyes, your choice, but it's not something that I would do.

Sorry, to clarify. If a laser is powerful enough to do damage it is classified as 3b, the laser pointers that are sold as laser pointers must be 3a or lower. As I recall the EU regulations are even more restrictive than the US regulations on this aspect. they have a seperate 3r designation for laser pointers, and additional rules. And yes I know the regulations, the ANSI book is on my self. I work in laser research and have been trained as a laser safety officer under OSHA standards.

JeffG:
Yea...but how cool it would be to have a frickin lazer. I would want a helmet mounted one.

Shall we call you Dr. Evil?

Rick Inman:
Buddy awareness isn't just a light issue. Otherwise we would just tie big strobe flashers to our tanks and be done with it.

Obviously, but if memory serves I was taught in DIR-F that by maintaining a steady light in your team mate's peripheral vision, he can easily tell both that you're there, and that you aren't in any distress. It goes without saying that buddy awareness doesn't end there, but my question is whether there are significant shortcomings that would prevent a laser from being useful in that capacity.

The red dot from the pointer I just got (for use primarily as a cat toy) is slightly smaller than the size of the nail on my little finger, so I'm not particularly concerned about particles blocking it. Also, because of it's relatively large size (for a laser beam)and bright red color, it's quite visible.

Since I wouldn't try to get a team mate's attention by shining a laser directly at his eyes, and since the laser is relatively low powered, I'm not particularly concerned about blinding anyone (at least, no more so than I would be with a 21W HID lightsaber beam).

The most significant shortcomings I've heard so far are that it simply isn't standard DIR equipment, which is certainly valid, and that it doesn't show where I'm looking, which I think is a pretty minor issue for the purposes I'm thinking of. It does show that I'm aware of where my buddy is and what he's doing, and I could easily use it to direct attention elsewhere if necessary.

Thanks for the replies so far, and keep 'em coming if anyone has more to add.

When I get a chance to try it out, I'll report the results elsewhere, so as not to confuse folks into thinking that using laser pointers this way is DIR kosher, which is obviously not the case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom