Lasers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSilvia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone think of a good reason that a reliable underwater laser pointer couldn't be used for maintaining buddy contact in place of a can light on recreational dives in open water?

Too small to catch attention.
Can't be seen in periphery.
Easily blocked by small particles.

Since this is the DIR forum, I'll say not diving with the same gear all the time. Also a laser is no more blocked by particles than a other light. I suppose it is more likely to be completely blocked by a medium sized particle. Also you may have the advantage of a slightly visible line to the diver.

The beam of a dive light is cone shaped. The beam of a laser pointer is constant and much narrower. I can block the beam of the laser pointer I am now holding with the tip of a pencil.

Yea...but how cool it would be to have a frickin lazer. I would want a helmet mounted one.

Well, my buddy knows both where I am from my HID and where I'm looking. I don't shine my light where I'm not looking, just so he can track me. The light serves both purposes.

If I was staring at the laser light all the time, all would see is a red dot. If I was just using it for a leash to connect me to my buddy... well, that is a non-dir tool or idea. Buddy awareness isn't just a light issue. Otherwise we would just tie big strobe flashers to our tanks and be done with it.

JeffG:
Yea...but how cool it would be to have a frickin lazer.

a "laser" is not a toy

:58:

haven't you heard that "lasers" can cause blindness and
other visual impairments?

Think of it: Thousands, MILLIONS of blind fish!

The laser pointers that are available for underwater use are not capable of damaging your eye without additional focussing, and even then the beam quality is not likely good enough even if focussed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom