Larger BC, more weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwlinux

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I’m a new OW diver trying to figure out optimal weighting and buoyancy. I am 6 feet tall, 245 pounds with around 15% body fat. I’m diving in salt water with a Neotek2 8/7/6.

I bought a 32# wing which doesn’t seem to lift me out of the water enough for a surface swim without a snorkel or using my air. With that said, towards the end of my dive, I can’t seem to stay down with an empty BC and 27 pounds of weight with a steel 100.

I’ve used several calculators and methods to figure out weighting; they vary from 24-27 pounds. Based on the data I have experienced while diving, it seems like I need another three or so pounds and larger single tank wing than 32#. Thoughts or recommendations?

I was hoping some of the more experienced divers would answer your questions, since I have the same issues. As far as lead, you need what you need. As far as wing size, larger seems reasonable to me. I am both taller and heavier than you, and I use a 30 pound wing for warm water diving in a 3mm, where normal sized people do fine with a 25 or smaller. Big divers just need more lift.

Thanks for the reply @Big Dan K . I upgraded my BC to an Apeks WTX-D40 and went up to 30# of lead - 2*10# ditchable and 10# on cam straps. I went out to Sunnyside Beach in Steilacoom, WA to try it out. The new wing didn't completely mesh up to the cam strap slots on the bottom of my Long and Heavy backplate, but I used a triglide to cinch it up.

This new wing and extra lead made all the difference. After inflating the 40# BC, I was out of the water and balanced really well with the weight setup. It seems like I found my setup for saltwater. I'll be diving two cold freshwater lakes next week, but dropping 3 pounds or so. I'll give it a test!

I am 6 feet tall, 245 pounds

Way way into the morbid obesity range. You need to address this or you'll be looking at problems far greater than needing more weight in your BCD.

I bought a 32# wing which doesn’t seem to lift me out of the water enough for a surface swim

BCDs are not designed to lift a diver out of the water for a surface swim.

I’ve used several calculators and methods to figure out weighting; they vary from 24-27 pounds. Based on the data I have experienced while diving, it seems like I need another three or so pounds and larger single tank wing than 32#. Thoughts or recommendations?

Forget the calculations (although they're probably close). Next time you go diving add another 2 lbs and jump in the water, preferrably before others so you can make an adjustment if necessary. Let all the gas out of your BCD. Do you sink? If not can you at least get yourself to break the surface and start sinking? If so, you're close to what you need. If you're fighting to stay down, get a couple of pounds more.

Do your dive. At the end of the dive when you're hovering at 15 feet for a safety stop, dump every single bit of gas out of your BCD. Twist, turn, flip upside down if you have to but get it all out. Then don't move. At all. Let go of the line. Do you sink? Do you float? Are you neutral?

Adjust weights accordingly on the next dive.

Rinse and repeat, make notes about how much weights you need for different gear configurations mainly exposure protection and tank size and material, and plan on needing less when you start losing that weight.

Thank you for the recommendations @LI-er. Your lead weight checking narrative above is very helpful too. I'll try out the SS method the next time I'm out.

I have the same semi-dry in an XL. I'm 5'11" and was about 200 last I dove with it. I would use a 12lb belt, 4lb on my cam opposite my pony, with a steel 100. You're seriously overweighted if you're truly at 15% body fat.

Do a proper weight check and drain your tank to about 500 psi, cross your ankles and either hug your chest or stretch your arms out straight in front of you. You're probably fining a little or sculling with your hands. Add to that you're also likely taking a very full breath and not fully exhaling.

I think if you got to around 20lbs of lead you'd be better off. Better yet, I'll be at Redondo tomorrow evening and can go over all this with if you like.

Do your dive. At the end of the dive when you're hovering at 15 feet for a safety stop, dump every single bit of gas out of your BCD. Twist, turn, flip upside down if you have to but get it all out. Then don't move. At all. Let go of the line. Do you sink? Do you float? Are you neutral?
I disagree. Is he supposed to go through those contortions on every dive in order to stay down at his safety stop? What if he's used a little more gas and is now lighter? Having minimal gas on the wing/BC at the last stop makes sense, but needing to have it shrink-wrapped around the tank in order to stay down doesn't. It's easy enough to go a little head down and feel how much gas is back there.

Way way into the morbid obesity range. You need to address this or you'll be looking at problems far greater than needing more weight in your BCD.
This comment shows what is wrong with the Body Mass Index. The poster also said that he had 15% body fat, meaning that the reason for his high BMI score is due largely to muscle mass, not fat. The BMI has been heavily criticized for decades for its inaccuracies when dealing with such individuals.

I disagree. Is he supposed to go through those contortions on every dive in order to stay down at his safety stop? What if he's used a little more gas and is now lighter? Having minimal gas on the wing/BC at the last stop makes sense, but needing to have it shrink-wrapped around the tank in order to stay down doesn't. It's easy enough to go a little head down and feel how much air is back there.
That's not an every dive contortion, it's a once or twice thing to verify he's actually where he thinks he is buoyancy wise. Newer divers are often grossly overweighted and this is due to poor training and knees on the bottom approach. I know a lot of the instructors in our area and that is the approach by most of them.

Back
Top Bottom