Large Shark/Ray spotted at SF Bay...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeguerrero

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well I didn't get to dive Monterey on Monday so I went across the San Mateo Bridge to have dinner. Before going home next to the Elephant Bar in Millbrae, I parked next to the bay water to relax. Something extraordinary happened next and I'd like to share it with all of you.

I soon saw something from the corner of my eye breaking the surface and becomming larger at view. I focused at the odd shape in the water and couldn't believe my eyes. Yes it was a large something and it was starting to thrash around in the water as if it had caught something.

I quickly got out of my SUV and remembered I had my digital camera in my pocket. I pull it out and these are the two clips I got of the large shark/ray. It was at least 5 feet from where I was filming.

I'm just amazed these large rays/sharks are so close to shore and in feeding mode, maybe it was digging up some mullusks or it had pinned an unforturnate fish to the sandy bottom.

It makes me aware that the bay water across San Mateo isn't as steril as I thougtht. Let me know what you think of the quick videos.

MG

Please enjoy the videos... :popcorn:

View My Video[/URL]

View My Video[/URL]

good sized ray from the look of it. It's funny, at Oracle where I work in Redwood Shores, there is a pond out front that feeds into the bay. I've actually seen some smaller rays cruising around that thing. I presume they are somehow getting sucked in as babies and then are confined to this space. They are around.

good sized ray from the look of it. It's funny, at Oracle where I work in Redwood Shores, there is a pond out front that feeds into the bay. I've actually seen some smaller rays cruising around that thing. I presume they are somehow getting sucked in as babies and then are confined to this space. They are around.

i've actually considered diving the lagoon (well, the bigger one across the street)...
On good viz days you can see brightly colored bryozoans growing....

I think the local Oracle Dive club has been stocking the lagoon... :wink:

i've actually considered diving the lagoon (well, the bigger one across the street)...
On good viz days you can see brightly colored bryozoans growing....

I wonder how deep it is... Is it legal to dive in either of those lagoons? I live right down the street, and it would be a really convenient place to go hang out underwater for a bit when I get the itch. :)

I think the local Oracle Dive club has been stocking the lagoon... :wink:

We're busted. I guess we'll have to forget about the whale shark then. :no

One of the most interesting ecosystems around. Loved exploring that area growing up! Rays Rays and Rays. Love to hear about anybody diving out is anybody ventures out into the water! Please post if you do!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom