Large Shark At Shaws Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaMilo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
My 2 dive buddy's and I were finishing a dive on Wed. night(8-9-06) at Shaws cove.
We were exiting the archway and ran into a 6ft 150-200lb 6 gill shark.
This will will Quickly ruin your SAC rate.
The shark hung out for a few minutes and closley inspected the three of us.
I have never had such a large shark pay that much attention to me.
It was a little unnerving.
Ruth I guess you and your husband barley missed it by going to Divers Cove that night.
Oh well maybe next time. Huh?
After the fact it was a great experience that I will remember for a long time.
During the encounter I felt A little vulnerable .
All in all it was a great experience.
So on your next night dive keep your eyes open!

Milo

What makes you think it was a six gill shark? These are rare to uncommon in southern California. You'd be more likely to see one in the Pacific NW as I understand it. My guess would be a soupfin or possibly thresher.

Hi Milo,
Hope you don't mind me dropping in. We're always on the lookout for six-gills up here in Puget Sound. In case you're interested, we've got some threads going on the topic. Here is one of our local board's threads for reporting sightings (some pictures too and a recent video). We also have some sighting reports & pics here on Scubaboard in the Orca Bait forum. Congratulations. I'm still waiting for my first sighting.

-Ben M.

I didnt think 6 gills liked our socal water temperature. No matter what kind of shark it is... that is FREAKING AWESOME!

drbill:
What makes you think it was a six gill shark? These are rare to uncommon in southern California. You'd be more likely to see one in the Pacific NW as I understand it. My guess would be a soupfin or possibly thresher.

I'm about 90% sure it was a 6 gill. It was very prehistoric looking.
Also looked at other shark photos(including the soupfin).
Tail shape was most like the 6 gill. This shark was also very very slow swiming.
Oh yeah almost forgot. It had very large blue eyes.
Also a very thick girthy shark not at all slender.
Thanx for your reply,
Milo

WOw, that is incredible! I envy you, i think!!

drbill:

Dr Bill,

Which sub-species of Thresher do we encounter here in So Cal ? I thought all were either pelagic or open ocean dwelling sharks. How common would it be for one to be sighted in shallow near shore waters ?

riguerin:
Dr Bill,

Which sub-species of Thresher do we encounter here in So Cal ? I thought all were either pelagic or open ocean dwelling sharks. How common would it be for one to be sighted in shallow near shore waters ?

The common thresher (Alopias vulpinus). They are actually somewhat common and the juveniles and adults will come into inshore waters this time of year.

I am 100% sure that this was not a Thresher shark.
The tail fin was probably only about 18 inches long.
It also had a dorsal fin which was small and set back toward the rear of the shark.
What do you think DR. Bill.
Your input is much apreciated.
Thanx,
Milo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom