Large glass magnifying glass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was under the impression that the magnifier needed to be glass. Is this correct?

The one I have used since '05 has a plastic lens. The loupes are nice but you have to get real close. For most people the magnifier works (not as well) and keeps them further from the reef.

BTW, it is a pretty cool site for that type of things:D

Anybody ever used one of these?

magnifier.jpg

from Prescription Dive Masks Snorkels, and Accessories

At 40 bucks, I'm a little hesitant.

OTOH, I'm tired of not being able to make out those pygmy seahorses...

Found this one in Nassau last week. Not sure it's what you're talking about, however :)
4895766087_0c367a2a09_d.jpg

This sounds like a great idea & I want to get something to explore the reef more closely when I'm diving.

I dive with a jeweler's loupe. Small enough to keep in my bc pocket, enough magnification to bring those tiny nudis, crabs, fishies up-close and personal. The one I carry now is a 20x. I have to get awfully close to focus, but it works fine most of the time.
Have used different powers, different descriptions, and different sizes. All magnified the items I viewed and opened up a whole new underwater world for me. (Thank you, Bill!)
I've purchased from ebay, craft store and a local jewelers' supply.
Never dive without one, if I can help it.

Would these be better to use than the Subsee Magnifier Tridacna listed?

Any suggestions on a good one with good glass & nice case that wont rust? I'd check out ebay but I dont really know what to look for...

This is the one we use, Carson MagniFlip 3x Flip-Open Pocket Magnifier with Built-in Case. , . Carson Magnifiers.

It has the advantages of being small, a built in lens protector, mostly plastic and is cheap.

This looks easy & simple, but is it the best choice?

ReefNet Inc. | SubSee Magnifier

I use this ALL the time. A great product.

This thing looks really cool, but how much is it?

This one looks kind of big to be dragging around... it seems like they offer a smaller version?

Those will not work underwater, they rely on an air/glass/air interface.

I realize, old thread.

Here's what I use. It was made for me by an Australian guy about 15 years ago. It has two glass lenses about 4 cm in diameter with 8 cm between them. The space between them fills with water.

It works extremely well underwater on everything from my watch to the tiny details that I enjoy so much. (On land, it's useless. In air the focal length is less than 0.)

lens.jpg

Do you have any idea of the focal length of the two lenses in air?

This is a completely different approach that the other two I've seen ....

1) use a high power lens out of flint glass or crown glass which has very high refractive index, so therefore it still has reasonably short focal length underwater, or

2) use any old type of lens, but put it in a case so that the lens is in air and has the normal magnification.

I should be able to test out such an optical system by just holding two lenses in a bucket of water to get dimensions correct.

Elegant method. It's on my "to do" list of projects.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom