Large glass magnifying glass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have any idea of the focal length of the two lenses in air?

I do not. I'd be glad to try and figure it out, though. Any ideas?

(Gear is packed up now for a trip to Koh Chang. Back at the end of this week.)

Really nice idea. Neat how the designer used pipe and similar material pipe inserts to hold the lenses in place.

Henrik

I believe that was designed by H. Wes Pratt (prototype for "Winch" in the book and movie "Jaws"), now of Motte Marine Lab, you can find him on Facebook, really nice guy.

I do not. I'd be glad to try and figure it out, though. Any ideas?
Stick something in through the hole in the side an wiggle it around while facing the unit towards the sun to see more or less where to sun image comes to a point ?

If it doesn't disassemble easily, then it would be difficult to measure anything. Obviously it has served you well for 15 years and you shouldn't tinker with it and break it.

I'm headed back to the mainland in another week, and can scrounge up some lenses to try out the technique.

Stick something in through the hole in the side an wiggle it around while facing the unit towards the sun to see more or less where to sun image comes to a point ?

I'll give it a shot. There is a big hole to let water in which might allow me to get a decent guess at the focal pint.

If you just take the trouble to send Wes a note he will, I am sure. be glad to tell you the focal lengths and even where to get them.

Finally back home after a hellish trip to Koh Chang. Diving fine. Bus to Koh Chang a nightmare.

Back on topic: I'm not sure if this makes any sense, but the focal length of the two lenses seems to be the same as the distance between the two lenses. I turned the thing toward the sun and put a length paper in one of the fill holes and moved it back and forth. The sun's image was smallest when the paper was touching the inside surface of the back lens.

Also, if you just look through one of the lenses, it seems to be focused exactly on the surface of the other lens.

I hope that helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom