Lanes Cove 7/24/2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really did not mean to open up a can of worms here. I understand what happened to me and I am not looking for revenge or to cause a stir. I accept it as a low key threat to "stay out of my :dork2:neighborhood." Living in a state where tourists and visitors from outside are an important part of our economy, it just erks me that a community will take physical action against those visitors:no:. There are ways to do it with proper signage and local ordinances. I also was curious if this type of thing had happened to others recently. If so I felt that this would be a good forum to warn others such as myself that drive around NE exploring different dive sites. At least be forewarned that you may have an issue at a certain site or need to bring pockets full of quarters, etc..

Before writing the post I had done a Scubaboard search of Lanes Cove and was aware that there are some past issues here. I followed ScubaSarus' advice and did a further search. I have also read crlavoie's site reference to "Lanes Cove....Beware" a few postings back. Also Reefseals' thread in 2003.

It is quite obvious that the issue here is much more than just vandalism and a few neighbors not wanting visitors or people parking near their homes.

Cape Ann Divers will not even mention Lanes Cove:mooner: as a dive site because of its history of "friction" at the site [Aug 2005]. In the past the lobstermen would drop cinderblocks and bricks on divers below. The residents would block the lane with cars to keep divers out. Diving was not allowed within 20' of a lobster pot, so the waters were flooded with pots every 20'. Valves were yanked out of tires. Nail-studded boards were placed under rear tires and covered with dirt. Obviously the Lobsterman/Diver war mentality is still bubbling in the pot.

See Lanes Cove Harrassment 6-17 by Dash_Riprock 18 Jun 2006
See Reefseal's posting Lanes Cove 21 Oct 2003
See a lobsterman's posting of 1 Jan 2004 where he states that "the area from behind Pigeon Cove Harbor to past the Lanesville shore is an absolute [guarantee] that you will be robbed by divers if you fish there."

This area has a long, well-documented history of "friction" between divers and the local lobstermen. We are not going to change that mindset no matter what we do. It is now in its 2nd and even 3rd generation there.

If I had my way I would do as ScubaSarus says and create a sticky of "NE Dive sites to be Aware of" - a place we could post current problem areas for those new to those sites. At the very least you would know what you may be getting into. [I don't mind a nest of bees in the woods, at least point them out to me so that I can avoid them. There are 2 sides to the coin - maybe they have a right to exist also]

In response to David -- I am not going to spend a good part of a weekend [and the gas money, etc.] going back down to Gloucester to fill out a complaint about something I have no proof of except a nail studded piece of rubber. I had to spend $118 yesterday on a new tire:( - no more.

My local diving goes from Portland, ME to Newport, RI. I am blessed with all these choices. From now on I will be avoiding Cape Ann and the local divers will have one less to trip over.

I learned my lesson. To continue would be like:deadhorse:

I suggest you report to Police. I was accosted bya lobsterman last year whose boat name is Silva fox. Total disregard for my and my sones safety, almost ran us over. I reported him and pushed it all the way to court. He now is on a suspended sentence. If you have an iussue with him I suggest you report and he will now loose his license.

Since this has happened I have been told by numerous divers of his antics including cutting someones flag. But they didnt report it like I did.

lets stop turning the other cheek, we have the same rights as anyone to be there. Those Lanes Cove people need a wakeup call.

I just had an incident there today.

I thought I'd park my car up the street and take a walk to Lanes Cove. I was wearing a red shirt. On my walk down I passed a guy on a step ladder doing some trim painting work. I accidentally kicked his ladder and he fell off and on top of me inadvertently painting a white diagonal stripe down my red shirt.

Unfortunately there was a group of lobstermen nearby that thought I was rubbing them the wrong way when they saw my newly spoiled red shirt with the white stripe and proceeded to chase me with hooks and hammers. As soon as they cornered me, the commercial for "gotta get away" ended.

Well anyway lets live and learn and leave the site to the lobstermen; they are having tough times. The authorities are close to shutting down all lobstering from Cape Cod to the LI Sound for 5 years.

I feel sorry for these guys as it not a good living anymore and some divers have ruined it for us by blatantly poaching. Poaching is more wide spread from divers than one can see; I won't go in to details but believe me on this one. I do not work in enforcement but I do work with the ECON officers at the park I work at. To maintain good public relations, the park enforcement simply dumps people's buckets unless they have taken the claws or in possession of the meat without the carapace. But we do have training with ECON present and that's when the stories appear as what happens at other ocean sites.

We know of one SCUBA poaching incident last year at the same time the lobstermen were lobbying for that new dive flag law. That incident pretty much proved the lobstermen right unfortunatly.

Well anyway lets live and learn and leave the site to the lobstermen; they are having tough times. The authorities are close to shutting down all lobstering from Cape Cod to the LI Sound for 5 years.

I am having a tough time with this, First of all the great majority of Divers are not poachers and if I ever saw one I would report him myself. There are bad apples in every bunch.

The lobstermen are having tough times but what about the people who have to come up with the money for new tires and tow trucks after they have been vandelized or harrased by some THUGS.

The bottom line here is that EVERY PERSON IN AMERICA HAS A RIGHT TO SWIM IN THE OCEAN AND TO PUBLIC LAUNCHINGS, to boat, fish and dive!

THE PROBLEM WITH THIS IS THE LACK OF LAW ENFORCEMENT.

The local police do nothing. Yet are they not here to serve and protect everyone IMPARTIALLY.

It's time dive community starts to pressure our State rep, State Senators and every other resource to change this THUG mentality. I personally have the State police barracks for that area on speed dial I will call them before the Glouster police.

WHAT IS IT GOING TO TAKE! A DIVER BEING KILLED BY A CINDER BLOCK OR RUN OVER BY A LOBSTERMANS BOAT. THESE MEN ARE WILL TO TRADE A HUMAN LIFE FOR A LOBSTER. THAT IS WRONG.

If we give up Lanes Cove whats next? Follys cove, old garden, back beach? If Cape Ann wins in banning divers whats to stop other area or states.

REPORT ALL WRONG DOING AND FOLLOW THRU. AND STAND OUR WATER.

While I can understand the frustration of having to deal with hooliganism - it bothers the heck out of me too. What they did to your car is a crime. + totally disgusting act. I would bet bottom dollar that the police have a good idea which people/family may have perpetrated the crime. It's always a matter of catching someone in the act. That being said - there are some standout criminals in Glosta - someone robbed a slushy vendor at Good Harbor Beach!

Thanks for bringing this up and I will have a look at this area of town in the very near future. I'll make sure to bring in my car with out-of-state license plates. :)

X

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom