Lanes Cove 5/23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefseal

Contributor
Reaction score
Sunday conditions at Lanes Cove were great! Definitely one of my top dives ever due to excellent vis. We arrived around Noon just before low tide. Dead calm seas and wind and plenty of Sun. There were several divers that had just exited from their first dives lobstering and commented how great the vis was. They were giving descriptions like "Caribbean". At the waters edge, could clearly see the bottom contours. The hot sun on the rocks sort of dried up the sea weed/moss a bit so entry/exit wasn't too bad.

My buddy and I brought our daughters along as "bubble watchers". (Both are still wrapping up pool/classroom sessions for the Open Water) so they had a good time lounging and exploring the waters edge.

The surface temp was in low to mid 50's, temp at depth (53 fsw) was 46 degrees.
I kid you not, the vis was easily in the 35-40 foot range. It was my buddy's first dive there. I took him on my usual tour which is a North heading to the pink granite formations and then headed N. East staying parallel with shore. As we approached turn point, we headed NW towards the wall where the rocks end and sand begins. We followed the wall to the left (west/south west) until the wall dissipates and headed right back into shore. The swim back to shore was one of the coolest parts of the dive with the great vis. Not used to the panoramic view with peripheral vision. Both dives were about 45 min.

Good critter sightings along way. Yellow Sea Raven, Sculpin, Winter Flounder and even a big A** lobzilla in one of crevices. The sucker had to have been about 12-14 lbs.

Along the wall/sand line, we saw about 1/2 dozen scallops but they were pretty small (smaller than palm of my hand)

Glad summer approaching.

Last edited:
cool !!! Thanks for the report, I never experienced such high viz in relatively warm waters around here ! Although I have to say, my last dive at Folly with all the surge on the surface really surprised me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom