Land-based Tiger Beach with Stuart Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

louisianadiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I've made trips to Tiger Beach, Bahamas, in the past, but this was my first time from a land-based boat as opposed to a liveaboard. Stuart Cove is running trips from West End, Grand Bahama. The trip is about an hour's run each way. Here are a few shots from the past 3 days:

Attachments

• d17203 tiger small.jpg
    d17203 tiger small.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 181
  • d27213 tiger small.jpg
    d27213 tiger small.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 168
  • d37265 tiger small.jpg
    d37265 tiger small.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 114
  • d37262 tiger small.jpg
    d37262 tiger small.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 114
Great pics, Clay. I think I'd have to bump the shutter up to about 1/250 just to deal with the hands shaking factor.

Hey Larry! You'd get the hang of it after just a few minutes. For the record, I was shooting ISO 200, f14, 1/125 with 2 Ike 125's set at 1/2 power. Plenty of light in 15' of water and a sandy bottom.

Louisianadiver, I appreciate you sharing your pic's AND your settings :) I'm headed there next month. I'm actually going to UNEXSO, but am taking a day to "run down" to Stuart Cove's and do the Tiger Beach thing. Sounds like you had a great experience.

Great shots. Not too many places where one can have that experience in such shallow water without being eaten.

I normally don't like sand shots but these are lovely. Got to like those teeth!

There are shadows on the sharks body. Is the flash having any impact? f14 @ 1/125 maybe 8'+ away - doubtful.

In any event nice job.

Hi Ron. You're right that the flash was a weak fill. It worked best when sharks were overhead to keep the belly white. On the 3rd pic posted the strobe shadow from the shark's pec fin is clearly visible on the shark's body and on the remora (the strobe shadow is not a good thing, only an indication that the strobe was having an effect). The photos were taken with a Tokina 12-24 rectilinear at 12mm from distances of 2-5 feet

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom