Lakes near DFW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

psiborg1812

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, I'd like to do some diving locally around DFW, and i was wondering if anybody has dove any of the following lakes:

Lake Worth
Lake Arlington
Benbrook Lake
Mountain Creek Lake

If you have dove them, what are they like? any other lakes in the DFW area that are worth going to?

Go to each of them, walk down the boat ramp, look at the water....and you'll understand why there aren't any dive reports...or listings in the popular dive site lists.

If vis could be less than zero....that's where you'll find it.

Wear your chemical exposure suit and bring your Chemical Diver Specialty card for Mountain Creek Lake. PCBs cause cancer. JP-5 jet fuel and other hydrdocarbon contaminants add flavoring to the water.

Possum Kingdom is probably going to be your best bet for lakes but since we are in a drought the lakes are very low and so is the viz.....Lake travis is just down the road but it is also very low.....the lake you mention are exactly what the other posters have said

Last edited:
Lake Murray in Oklahoma is a nice spot, and only about a couple of hours from DFW. I think we are headed there in a couple of weeks. (hopefully)

Rhonda

Dang! scratch Mountain creek lake off the list for sure!

Grrr, poo on DFW for such crummy local lakes! I guess I was just looking for lakes that weren't over an hour drive from here, since i'm trying to save gas money, and you usually have to camp overnight because of the drives.

I know about CSSP, PK, and Athens, but really, the only one i think is good diving is Clear Springs. PK smells bad even through the mask and Athens has nothing alive in the water except black bugs.

I have never dove Lake Murray, good suggestion, though!

Thanks for the replies, everyone, i really appreciate it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom