Lake Worth, Texas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Debraw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So I was going to ask if anyone has dove Lake Worth, TX near Forth Worth/Azle area. After a quick search with Google I think i just answered my own question. Maximum depth 22 feet and contamination advisory for Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs). Yikes. I had to drive that way today and passed over a bridge and like most scavenger/treasure hunter divers with a moderate curiosity thought " hmm I wonder what someone has thrown over that bridge". There looked to be a very easy access road to the waters edge and then even a public beach area. Well, then I ran across a story of a half goat, half man creature lurking on a tiny little island in the lake called Greer Lake. Well great, I am afraid of funny looking creatures, now what do I do? :11:

I think there are a lot of goat-men running around the US scaring jr high kids. Apparently other countries too.

Debra,
Yeah, they have a PCB problem plus the Joint National Guard base sits at one end of the lake and they have become very touchy. Rumor has it that a B-36 (think) missed the runway and landed in the lake (many, many moons ago)- since then it has rusted away in zero vis water that now is sharper than heck.

Recently, I noticed that Oklahoma has a water website- http://www.owrb.state.ok.us/
It seems interesting. I am looking towards Oklahoma and Arkansas right now. I swam in the Arkansas River a few years ago in a national park and the water was shallow and Freaking cold but clear as a bell.

We unfortunately sit on top of the Trinity Aquifer and it seems to have very little surface run off in this area. There used to be a series of springs in the North Texas area but the water level has dropped so far that a lot of them are no longer flowing or now barely trickling. Plus, as you know surface water levels are terrible right now.

Are you looking for something specific?

Regards, Andrew
For anyone reading this- I am hunting for springs in the area.

No, not looking for anything in particular at this point. I was in Azle to pick up an axle ( for the trailer, apparently you can not load several t-bottles and a few sets of doubles and drive it at 80 miles an hour, without a problem occurring) yesterday and drove across the lake and was not even aware it was even there before yesterday. You bring up a good point though about the local springs, I am beginning to wonder if the low lake levels are really from the lake of rain or lack of production, or maybe a bit of both? We are learning that you get better clarity, and deeper water when you seek out the cold water lakes, so it appears as if the dry suit will get a better work out this year than last year. The Northern folks dive dry year around, why can't we?

I have been wanting to dive under the 820 bridge for some time. No real reason other then it could be another 'been there done that' I guess.
There has just got to be some strange junk under there don't Ya think ???

Besides, I could always use an additional gun, knife, ice pick, vintage refrigerator or thrashed lawn chair to add to my collection :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom