Lake Winnipesaukee train wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BillNH:
On the other hand, off the NW side of Diamond Island there is supposedly a WWII Laser missile testing site under water with 2 or more underwater modules and a train track that leads from shore down to the modules.

My dad dove the train wreck back in the day (20+ years ago) and said it was in pretty tough shape then so we never took the time to check out them out again. Diamond island is defiantly some of the best diving in winni but you need a boat. If your looking at diamond island the wreck is 30 to the tip of the island, 60 to a tree broken in half, and 90 to a small rock face. The wreck is called empty pockets and is in 60ish feet of water and there is (or at least was) a line to a large "rowboat" nicknamed the diamond island dorrey. As for the tracks, its a broken monorail that they used to send things down and track with lasers. There is also a lot of concrete debries around. I've never heard of, or seen, any modules but im not exactly sure what is being reffered to. The only other things ive heard of is another rowboat and a lawn chair in 100' (never bothered to check this out) and just around the corner from the empty pockets is a massive iron grid in 30-40' (have dove) and a debries feild out a little deeper (couldn't find this). I highly reccomend this site, ive dove it 10 or so times and still love it.

The modules i mentioned were described to me as underwater habitats that were once pressurized and poeple lived in them. I plan on diving the site this summer. Who knows what we will find, but should be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom