Lake Winnipesaukee train wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tully NE

Reaction score
For some reason I've always had this idea in my head that their is a train wreck dive somwhere in Lake Winnipesaukee...I swear I heard somone mention it at some point in my life, but im not sure. Somthing about a cargo ship carrying a few trains sinking, or a similar scenario...I'm not sure.

Can anyone varify if there is? If there is I definitly am diving it soon, that interests me so much.

If not in the Lake, does anyone know if such a situation exists in New England? I have an interest in diving non-aquatic things. Planes, Trains, Automobiles!

Are their any WWII plane wrecks?

Are there any U-Boats on the east coast, anywhere?

...okay, got a bit sidetracked.

- Tully

see this thread http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=72632

I have a chart of Winni that indicates " B&M rail cars in 37' "
Along the western shore of Meridith Bay, off a little point along Scenic Rd a bit south of Watson Rd, approx
43deg 37min 15sec N
71deg 28min 2sec W

(no I'm not sitting here with nav charts, but I PMed this info to someone back then.)

This is right along the shore, old train tracks run along the edge of the lake or did. We actually explored the area looking for shore dive access some years ago. I assume it was a derailment.

Thank you! Thats a rad thread.

My BIL told me about diving that train. According to him, the train derailed and slid down the embankment and onto the ice where it slid out a ways before breaking thru and sinking. Now, while I believe him that there is a train there, I seriously doubt that an iron locomotive wouldn't just bust straight thru the ice, so I doubt it's in very deep water. According to him, and he told me this last summer at a cookout where the beer was freeflowing like a $2.99 E-bay regulator, it's a cool dive. Course, he might have been yanking my chain since I showed up at the BBQ with a bag-o-lobsters and my sister sort of busted him about not diving any more and bringing home lobsters.

Tully NE:
Are there any U-Boats on the east coast, anywhere?

The only 'real' UBoat wrecks are all on the east coast. The most famous ones are the U-869 off of NJ in about 230 fsw, the U-853 off of Block Island, RI in about 125 fsw, and the U-352 off NC in about 130 fsw. There are a few others, but these are the ones that are most often dived.

The only west coast Uboat is the UB-88 off of California, which was scuttled. There is also the U-2xxx (can't remember the number) in the gulf, off the SW coast of Florida.

If you want to dive some automobiles, you can check out Hathaway Pond in Barnstable, MA where there is an old Saab that you can swim through, along with a small tractor and a 36 ft cabin cruiser.

I have heard that the train wreck mentioned above is in bad shape. Not much left to see, but would be fun to check. We tried to find them one day with sonar and could not.

On the other hand, off the NW side of Diamond Island there is supposedly a WWII Laser missile testing site under water with 2 or more underwater modules and a train track that leads from shore down to the modules. I know someone who has dove to the 1st one. I plan on exploring this out this summer. BTW - not on any charts ....

U-853 off Block Island TD-1 14473.07 TD-2 43895.11 take a sharp turn straight downward can't miss it.

The L-8 off Jamestown (well way off) is a WW1 vintage sub.

Skyraider hit the water in 1957 but as of 2001 not much was left so may be just about nothing to see. If your interested I have the numbers for it, but I imagine the SAAB is more interesting at this point. There is also a Hellcat of similar vintage and circumstances off of Charlestown, RI.

a better location of the L-8 is 1/4 mile ish off the NB buoy

and the u-853 sits in 130 fsw right off block island.

great dive

Diesel298:
a better location of the L-8 is 1/4 mile ish off the NB buoy

and the u-853 sits in 130 fsw right off block island.

great dive

Actually is more like 128 fsw.................... OK fine I am so close to the 500 post mark I am desperate.

I believe there is a small plane off Corporation Beach in Dennis, MA. I'll have to check that out someday.

Back
Top Bottom