Lake winnipeg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no diving in lake winnipeg. Only ones that will ever dive there are police divers looking for bodies. Nil vis. Only good diving in manitoba is west hawk lake, its 365 ft deep, with vis during the summer around 15ft, spring and fall 25 ft. There are a number of clubs/Dive stores in wpg, underworld and 3 Fathoms are the most active with dives every weekend.

That's not entirely true. While most of the accessible areas of the lake are 1) Shallow 2) Sandy 3) Low-Vis and 4) boring, there are some dive possibilities in Lake Winnipeg, but you got to be dedicated and patient.

I know there are WWII planes in the water near Gimli. If you follow the Gimli runway to the water - there are (at least at one point) several planes that went into the water when their pilots lost it on take-off during training. You have to wait for a period of REALLY calm weather to see them. And even at that, you might have to have them spotted for you from the air.

I also know of an area where there are some significant artifacts from the Reil Rebelion on the bottom of the lake. However, it is also know that there is also a WWII amunition dump in the same area - so I'll decline to point out the exact location (lest some more foolish than I attempts to visit them)

That's interesting, Waterford0069, thanks for posting.

I've dove Lake Winnipeg - near Hecla Island, to be exact. I can tell you, the visibility is no better than 12 inches. The bottom ranges from silt to sand, and depths are usually shallower than 20 feet. The dive(s) were for work, not pleasure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom