Lake Travis Scuba Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ryanpublic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I thought I'd post my trip report from this weekend.

Actually my diving this weekend started Saturday with some dive training at the Lake Travis Test Station. We fully inflated to two 2000lb lift bags, two 1000lb lift bags, and one 500lb lift bag. That was cool. (not all at the same time of course but we used a 9000lb anchor and inflated the bags to look for leaks. But that's a dive team report so on to my recreational dive.

Today I divemastered for Rob on the Giant Stride. We had a great time! Mike Lutz was there teaching an AOW Class and his divemaster Doug was there to help with there four students. The only one not teaching or taking a class was Dede (I hope I got the name right and spelled right sorry if I didn't). Our first dive was at the Oasis Wall. We descended to 93 feet and before it got silty vis was pretty good. Dede and I got away from the class and struck out on our own doing brief contours at 60, 40, and 20 feet. At first I thought she was picking up all the trash in the lake because after I showed her a bottle she kept it. Out of peer pressure I put a couple of cans in the pockets of my new Zeagle Ranger. Then we came across a lot of cans and bottles and I decided I was done picking up trash. When we surfaced she told me she was collecting bottles (and only bottles) for some top secret classified project. (I wonder if she and Frank are planning to connect Lake Travis with the Paris tunnels using beer bottles somehow.) I put my cans in the tash.

Then we went to the Old Scuba Park, Wreck Alley, or whatever you want to call it. Now I'd dove this place many times before all the lines were down and even one other time with Bob. My impression was always that it was cool but lacking a map and a good feel for the place it was always hit or miss. Today with Bob's laminated map and plenty of underwater lines it was easy to find our way around.

We decended on the Botel. This is a large boat that is now in 20' of water. It's large but there's not much to it. We followed it to the bow and passed an upsidedown swimming pool to a line leading to a house boat. Rob told us we could swim through it and at first we were going to pass on his advice but then we decided to do it. It was really cool. Once through we followed a rope that led us through trunks and branches of some very large submerged trees. It crossed my mind we might find some lines that might confuse us but that never happened. We came up on a large collapsed boat and using the map found the toyota. This was really cool because as it cme into view the first thing I saw was the grill and headlights. It looked just like a car in a horror movie, so cool. Then back to the collapsed boat and back along a line to the Botel. But there was another car to see. Passed the Botel and we came up on a Corvair. That took us to the end of a 57 minute dive.

Vis was fair 10-20 in most places. I know good vis is overrated but it's when it's there I'm not going to complain. Temp wasn't bad. I dove both dives in a 3 mil and only got cold at the end of the second dive.

Rob runs a first class operation and diving with Mike and his friends was a lot of fun too.

:coffee: Dive number 287

Hi Ryan.

We were in the boat that hit the scuba park while y'all were ending your dive.
The park was a lot of fun today. The vis was great!

I couldn't agree with ya more. Robert and LakeTravis Scuba is a first class organization.

We were swinging through the house boat when a Huge catfish swam in the entry way. This was the largest catfish I've ever seen. I'm 6'3, 230lbs and it's mouth was almost as wide as my shoulders and 4'6" long. I was inside one of the interior doorways and stooped when I saw this gigantic mouth coming at me. It slowly kept coming, so I raised up a bit and it swam right under me, toward my buddy. After running into him, the catfish just swam around the interior with us (we stayed still in the center of the room while it swam around us) for several minutes, checking us out.
That experience alone made the dive perfect.

Sounds like you both had great dives. I still need to get out with Robert. Now that the season has slowed somewhat, maybe I'll be able to plan a trip. I'll have to do that when I get back from DEMA.

Ahhh, the big o' catfish in the houseboat. I ran into him the other day when in the houseboat, with two other divers. He didn't mind having our lights beaming in his eyes as we admired his size. Blew me away to see a catfish that large just hanging around.

Hi Ryan.

We were in the boat that hit the scuba park while y'all were ending your dive.
The park was a lot of fun today. The vis was great!

I couldn't agree with ya more. Robert and LakeTravis Scuba is a first class organization.

We were swinging through the house boat when a Huge catfish swam in the entry way. This was the largest catfish I've ever seen. I'm 6'3, 230lbs and it's mouth was almost as wide as my shoulders and 4'6" long. I was inside one of the interior doorways and stooped when I saw this gigantic mouth coming at me. It slowly kept coming, so I raised up a bit and it swam right under me, toward my buddy. After running into him, the catfish just swam around the interior with us (we stayed still in the center of the room while it swam around us) for several minutes, checking us out.
That experience alone made the dive perfect.

That boat must be the home of that catfish. Brandon aka Txmanager and I watched him for a while when we dove with Robert in July. Glad to hear he is still around and not on someones dinner plate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom