LAKE TRAVIS level predictions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to a recent Austin Spaceman link, Central Tx is past Extreme and into an Exceptional Drought (isn't that backwards?). I didn't realize it was that bad.

I bet it floods again in the next year or two. It seems like the period for flooding varies between 4 and 8 years with a few exceptions. As far as levels go the period we're in (2000 to 2008)resembles the period between 1984 and 1991. However, we're lower in 2006 & 2007 than we were 89 & 90).

The Lowest it's been since 1942 is 614 in 1951 and 615 in 1964. It seems like since 65 they've been managing the lake so it doesn't go below (or much below) 640.

Since 1964 we've hit the 630 to 650 range six times. But the bad news is we hit this range twice in the last four years and we may hit it again this year (making 3 of the last 4 and 7 of the last 40).

Before I looked at the historical level for travis I would have said it's just a cycle, but it looks pretty clear from the historical perspective that the population in our region is beginning to affect the average level of Travis.

However, it's a big lake and it was designed to catch flood waters. Since 64 we've been above 681 almost 17 times and were releasing water every single time. I believe there is a good chance the level control can be adjusted to our current population and it is encouraging to see that we haven't seen the kind of level in travis that our fore-fathers did.

Okay TMI

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom