Lake Travis dive on 24th, 25th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasmermaid,

We've been watching it (and cringing!) also. My honey has her OW in May and I'm starting to think that waiting until then would have been a very good idea for my AOW (this weekend).

But alas, it's scheduled and the tanks are sitting in the living room. So, cold or not, I'll brave it.

Was there a lot of prep/book work for the rescue class?

Hemlon:
Why do ya' need extra weight for the rescue class? (I'm taking it in May...and I want to be prepared!)

Hemlon,

Aggie Diver and I are the victims for the rescue class. We always wear extra weight and come up with interesting scenarios for the rescuers to have to deal with. Just for fun and it actually helps simulate a real life scenario.

Later,
DM

Hi, Texasmermaid!

For ya'lls information, Texasmermaid was my OW Instructor. She also made sure to include Beast and I in all her diving activities for the next year, making sure we were learning our P's and Q's properly. We wouldn't be the divers we are today if it weren't for her. Just don't ask her about my bouyancy skills on that first Coz dive! :11:

So, TM...in case I never said it...thanks for the great start!

I look forward to being aboard!! I am doing my OW with Deep Blue Scuba. Unfotrunatley though, it was rolled back week, so next Sat/Sun. Aching to get on with it!!

Right-o-!! Look forward to new worlds. Headin to Cozumel in May for many dives!!

I'd know because I know some monkeys that were there at Travis last weekend crying about it when they got back.

And yes mermaid, we add some extra weight to complicate things for the victims. We work with a great instructor (teaches at A&M), he believes in people leaving his classes as great divers, not just meeting the PADI minimums (which as we all know means different things to different instructors unfortunately).

Our job in rescue is to challenge the students, give them the "extreme situations" as our instructor likes to put it.

Hemlon,

I wouldn't say there's a tremendous amount of bookwork for rescue. It does give you a good background on variety of rescue related issues.

Quite a bit of prepwork though - gotta get your CPR and first aid certifications (or in the PADI world it's Medical First Responder). Then some pool work training in rescue scenarios.

The biggest thing is it's a pretty full weekend of rescue scenarios/diving (do more on the surface than below though) out at the lake.

Dee:
Hi, Texasmermaid!

For ya'lls information, Texasmermaid was my OW Instructor. .... So, TM...in case I never said it...thanks for the great start!

Hey Dee, I don't want to take credit for something I didn't do! You are thinking of a different "Texas Mermaid." I am the one you met up at Pappadeaux's in January in Arlington. :daisysmil

I just got home from Travis for my rescue scenario weekend and I will sleep like a baby tonight! They ran us through the wringer and then some, divers were missing, distressed divers, panicked buddies, etc all over the place. We had some kind of fun - in spite of the rain, wind, and 66 degree air and water! :ice:

Off to bed soon... :tired: zzzzz

I did my AOW this weekend at Travis and it was wonderful. My instructor was informative and really seemed interested in helping us become better divers. LOTS of practical tips.

Yes, the water was chilly, but it wasn't too bad. Mostly the surface temp was the element to battle.

Overall, a good weekend!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom