Lake Travis Conditions (March 1 & 2)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LVX

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Went out both Sat and Sun this past weekend. On Saturday, we went to Tom Hughes County Park. If you have never been there it is a great dive for dives from 80-110. There are a lot of grottos and overhangs in that range. Getting to the water is definitely a chore though especially if you have doubles and stages. Anyway, vis was 10-12 down to 120. At 140, vis had dropped to about 1 foot. Temp was 59.

On Sunday we went to Windy Point (Private). Vis was 5-6 down to 80-90 and then dropped to around 1-2 down to 120. Temp was around 55-58.

Layne

Thanks for the info, Layne.

oh Ian, come on now just because you couldn't see anything doesn't mean it sucked. It sucked because my drysuit leaked in 55 degree water....

Now the suit leaking does suck...the vis doesn't sound that bad to me though. :wink:

I think that is just way to much vis!!! :eyebrow:

the vis at Tom Hughs was surprisingly good. If I had a boat, I would be diving there for a while...

Layne

Layne.... never even seen this park....can you describe the entry/exit and mule trail conditions. Thx

Layne.... never even seen this park....can you describe the entry/exit and mule trail conditions. Thx

The park is very small and is on the south/ southeast side of the lake. It is along the same wall as the Oasis. You can see the dam, hippie hollow and windy point from the park. Anyway, once you park, you have to walk about 50 yds down to the shore. I know this doesn't sound like far but the incline is steep and once you get near the edge, all the rocks are big and smooth which makes it easy to slip. Also, unless you want to walk a lot farther, getting in and out can be a chore. It is only a couple of feet to get into the water but there is no easy way to get in except giant stride which is easy but getting out requires you to take all you equipments off in the water and then push youself up and out. You then have to drag everything out of the water and then haul it back up the steep incline. Probably not that bad but I like to bitch so there you go.... Now, if you do have an equipment problem once you are in the water or if you forget something back at the car... Well, we did and I did bitch alot... lol

Still, the grottoes here are the best in the lake as far as I am concerned. We have taken a tank down before and flooded a grotto with air and been able to be chest out of the water at 80 ft....

Cool place

Layne

The park is very small and is on the south/ southeast side of the lake. It is along the same wall as the Oasis. You can see the dam, hippie hollow and windy point from the park. Anyway, once you park, you have to walk about 50 yds down to the shore. I know this doesn't sound like far but the incline is steep and once you get near the edge, all the rocks are big and smooth which makes it easy to slip. Also, unless you want to walk a lot farther, getting in and out can be a chore. It is only a couple of feet to get into the water but there is no easy way to get in except giant stride which is easy but getting out requires you to take all you equipments off in the water and then push youself up and out. You then have to drag everything out of the water and then haul it back up the steep incline. Probably not that bad but I like to bitch so there you go.... Now, if you do have an equipment problem once you are in the water or if you forget something back at the car... Well, we did and I did bitch alot... lol

Still, the grottoes here are the best in the lake as far as I am concerned. We have taken a tank down before and flooded a grotto with air and been able to be chest out of the water at 80 ft....

Cool place

Layne

I can imagine just what you described---thanks......does sound sweet though. I remember when K-valve and a few of us were out on the Bubba's pontoon this past summer....someone pointing out the park and commenting on the great wall dive over at that spot. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom