Lake Rawlings Trip Report 7/26/2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few things.

I think the no knife policy had to do with people prying open the little clam things and feeding the guts to fish? At least that was the rumor I always heard.

The speed bumps at the entrance, as I heard, were put there by the locals that live around there. Guy I was chatting with (Matt) who does training there often said they redid them and he hit them hard not expecting it. All his stuff flew out the back of the truck. And all the people hanging out on the porch nearby looked amused. I wouldn't pin the speed bumps on the quarry.

The shower ordeal, I think the Rawlings people had to go through quite a big deal to make that happen. The facility feeds through a pump system that drives the waste water way into a field off to the right when you are driving in. I'm pretty sure the upgrade cost quite a bit.

I have no idea how profitable the quarry is. If I had one, it'd be cooler, but I don't, so I go to Rawlings when I don't make it out on a boat. I haven't made it out on a boat much this year, dive buddies are kind of MIA with the economy or something.

And a note to people going Rawlings who have never been. WATCH YOUR SPEED. I use Route 58 and Emporia is KNOWN to be the huge speed trap. I've never seen so many speed traps. The nearby counties participate in the fun. Nothing like coming across the top of a hill to have radar detector max out, look down, speed is fine, then get pulled over so the guy can check the tint level on all the windows. And yes, they write tickets for the Virginia residents as well. I got a ticket in Brunswick or Lawrenceville (need to fix mr. radar detector, I rarely speed but it's RD ticket is cheaper than speeding ticket)

How would you comapre Rawlings to DutchSprings if you have visited? I visit Dutch often while it is still a quarry I find it to be very nice, and People very nice. Lines are where they supposed to be, viz is usually 20-30ft during summer water temps get cold below thermocline. But they have heat/AC bathrooms and no charge for showers. I thought about visiting Rawlings on a trip I am bout to make but after reading so many crappy reviews and un happy people maybe Ill head to Mt. Storm instead atleast it's warmer and free lol.

How would you comapre Rawlings to DutchSprings if you have visited? I visit Dutch often while it is still a quarry I find it to be very nice, and People very nice. Lines are where they supposed to be, viz is usually 20-30ft during summer water temps get cold below thermocline. But they have heat/AC bathrooms and no charge for showers. I thought about visiting Rawlings on a trip I am bout to make but after reading so many crappy reviews and un happy people maybe Ill head to Mt. Storm instead atleast it's warmer and free lol.

I dove at Dutch Springs over 20 years ago after I first got certified. My memory is therefore rather dim on that one, however if I was to wager a guess I'd say they're similar. I mean how different can sunken boats, cars, and buses really be?

Except that Dutch Springs has a helicopter suspended mid water which might be different and worth a trip. I've been planning to get over to Dutch Springs these past few summers but after visiting Rawlings I lost my urge to do that.

Rawlings is my "home quarry" (despite being two hours away), but I also visited Dutch for the first time a couple weeks ago. The facilities at Dutch are much better, and the visibility on the busy weekend I was there was also a lot better. I wouldn't personally call Rawlings crappy and I've never had a bad experience there though. For some of us it's just the best thing going for training, or apres dive socializing, or for a quick diving fix between better destinations. That's why I'll continue to go there, anyway.

FWIW, there are maps available from the Rawlings website that do show compass headings between some of the platforms and attractions.

FWIW, there are maps available from the Rawlings website that do show compass headings between some of the platforms and attractions.

Either you're wrong or I'm an idiot because I thoroughly reviewed the entire Lake Rawlings website prior to my trip, and I just took another look, and I found no such map other than the one designed by one private individual that only has compass headings between the entry dock, the platforms and one bus.

So could you or someone else please prove me to be the idiot that I don't believe I am by providing a link to a map of Lake Rawlings on their website that show compass headings between the platforms and attractionS with a capital S.

Either you're wrong or I'm an idiot because I thoroughly reviewed the entire Lake Rawlings website prior to my trip, and I just took another look, and I found no such map other than the one designed by one private individual that only has compass headings between the entry dock, the platforms and one bus.

So could you or someone else please prove me to be the idiot that I don't believe I am by providing a link to a map of Lake Rawlings on their website that show compass headings between the platforms and attractionS with a capital S.

You'e right, I'm wrong. The maps only show headings between platforms and one busy. I apologize, I'm the idiot, mea culpa, sorry you had a bad time. Have a nice day.

You'e right, I'm wrong. The maps only show headings between platforms and one busy. I apologize, I'm the idiot, mea culpa, sorry you had a bad time. Have a nice day.

Actually it's not one or the other.

You're not an idiot because you were wrong, and I still could be an idiot even though I was right in this particular case.

In regard to your "no ticket" tested maximums, you've got a VA plate on your car, isn't that right?

If so you aren't obligated to follow the same rules as us out of state guys, I'll wager to guess.

Va. State boys don't care what tags are on your car, 17 over & you will get a ticket.
Plus Drewski has Washington DC tags, which would be more of a reason to give him a ticket. :rofl3:
I prefer 7 over, never been pulled for that even on 58.

Anyone know how the current water temp. is there? Going to Lake Rawlings tomorrow for the first time. I can either bring my 7mm W1 or my 3mm Pinnacle Merino Lined suit.

The lady on the phone said its 82 on the surface and 60 at the bottom.

Also do I need my gloves and hood?

7mm & hood & gloves. Unless you plan on staying above the 30ft mark.

I have never seen 60 on the bottom, unless it is the bottom at 35ft. You go to the deeper spots & it will NOT be 60.

Even if it is 60, still a bit chilly for a 3mm.

Back
Top Bottom