Lake Pontchartrain, La.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please explain "reef ball''?

diver 85:
ClayJar, I'm diving Toledo this weekend, Sat & Mon-Labor Day.....you want to come up???.......
Ooooh! Toledo again? That'd be fantastic (especially considering Madison quarry cancelled this weekend's open day).

Thanks, Alan- some of the links on that site were dead, but I got the general idea. What are they built from, concrete?

I was really surprised to see that the lake is so shallow! We crossed over it last month on about a 15 mile long bridge, in bad weather- I imagined that it was a very deep lake at that time, probably because it's so huge. My sister & her family just moved to the north shore from the Metarie area.

Foo:
Thanks, Alan- some of the links on that site were dead, but I got the general idea. What are they built from, concrete?

Yes,, I believe they are mainly light wt. concrete material.

ScubaTexan:
And remember -- this thread was posted a year BEFORE Katrina. You can only imagine what kind of pollution is in the lake now.

Actually the storm washed away more harm from the area then good.
Lots of crap got washed up into Baton Rouge and the crap that got out early is still in Houston.

ScubaTexan:
And remember -- this thread was posted a year BEFORE Katrina. You can only imagine what kind of pollution is in the lake now.
Actually, you don't need to imagine. There was quite an extensive amount of monitoring and research going on to see what ended up in the lake, where it went, and what the effects were. Turns out, it had *much* less impact than anybody really could hope for (although there are probably still a few houses here and there in the waters around this area of the coast).
Foo:
I was really surprised to see that the lake is so shallow! We crossed over it last month on about a 15 mile long bridge, in bad weather- I imagined that it was a very deep lake at that time, probably because it's so huge. My sister & her family just moved to the north shore from the Metairie area.
I've crossed on the Causeway Bridge many times (and that one's just shy of 24 miles long). I've also ridden my old Waverunner from the north shore to New Orleans and back. That was over 25 miles each way, and on the way back, the wind and waves had picked up. I was *thoroughly* tenderized by the time I made it back to the campsite. (I had fully recovered in not much more than a couple weeks.)

Near the Causeway, it's about 25 miles across, north to south, making it quite a large freshwater lake. The fact it's so large and so shallow makes for interesting times if you're out on it when a storm blows in. It can go from glass to "three-hour tour" in mere moments. (Whether the "bottom" counts as a bottom is an interesting question, of course. I've always just called it a siltocline.)

Anyway. :biggrin:

(Oh, and I corrected your spelling, Foo. It's "Metairie", and since J. was born there, she requires me to spell it properly. :D)

((Oh, funny little anecdote: Someone I know, who was coming for the cookout at the campsite, said they were driving north on the Causeway when they saw someone riding along parallel and just to the east. Apparently, they thought, out loud, "Who is that lunatic out there riding full-bore on a jetski in this weather? He looks like he's beating the crap out of himself." When they got to the campsite and saw my Waverunner back on its trailer behind my car, they put two and five together and had a good laugh.))

Oops, sorry for the mispelling! And, yes, it was the Causeway bridge that we were on, I just confirmed with FooMan.

The storm was causing the "three-hour tour" waves you mentioned. I'm sure that's why I got the impression that it was ocean-like depths! That's funny that your friend saw you riding, also!

Back
Top Bottom