Lake/Pond diving in MA ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trappist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was wondering what are the rules in MA for lake/pond diving... If I'm right, reservoirs is a definite no-go, but are there any rules/restirctions ?
I was in Walden Pond for a family outting this weekend, and this place always amazes me with the water clarity ! I just wished we could dive there... I did ask at the entrance and apparently they do not allow it. I do not understand really why since people can swim, go with canoe or kayaks... Are they afraid that we actually destroy something ?
This is not the only pond around, I would love to hear on your experiences and places you would recommend (and why :))

Just wanted to change and get to rinse my gear (I know bad excuse, this is always done carefully after each dive anyway. Experience = knowledge :D

Come to NH. Lots of lakes you can dive this time of year that are gin clear and interesting dives. (feed the friendly bass muscles right from your hand) There is Newfound Lake, and Clarks Point at McKinney Park in Lake Winnepesauke. There is a dive shop Dive Winnepesauke in Wolfeboro that can guiide you to Clarks point. Easy entries. The only problem I have diving the lakes is resisting the urge to look under the rocks for lobsters. (habit)

http://www.scuba-newengland.com/DiveSiteDetail.asp?DiveSiteID=249&StateID=NH

Last edited:
that's a good start :) Let's keep it going ;o)
Anyone knows what the rules are ? How can we know we can or we can not go diving in the nice lake/pond ?

There is no diving in MA, you must head to Florida!

I have used the upper Mystic Lake in Medford for skills dives but it's not for the faint of heart by any means. It's darker than ANY ocean dive I've ever done and beyond 15 FSW, it's very cold. Depending on where you enter, it can get deep pretty quickly. At the public boat ramp next to the Tufts boat house, it drops from ankle deep to about 40 FSW within 50' of the shore and it looks like it reaches about 90 FSW shortly there after, acording to the topo maps. In addition, the bottom make up is mostly a VERY fine silt. So, even in the shallower areas, if you're bouyancy is not solid, you will quickly lose what little ambient light you had.

Interestingly enough, my buddies and I recently recovered a BRAND SPANKING NEW, UNTAPPED KEG OF HARPOON OCTOBERFEST from the lower lake! The back story to this tragedy is beyond words so I will spare you the horrid details. What rational person (if you can call them that) is capable of such an atrocity I do not know. What's important is that this little guy is a victim no more.

If I knew how to post the pics I would. You can't make this stuff up...

Newfound is OK from what I've seen. The vis is great but other than The Ledges, it's lots of sand punctuated with the rare beer can (overall, the place is incredibly clean). Perhaps others know of more interesting sites. BTW, it can be down right bone chilling here beyond 30 FSW....

Thanks, so it is possible to dive in upper Mystic Lake... interesting, this is not so far from where I live :D But I read these Upper and Lower lakes have heavy metals, because they basically have no movement under a certain depth, there is accumulation od dirt, silt and these heavy metals...

Now, cold water does not make me afraid :) I dov back in Feb in Cape Ann with 34F in the water :D Loved it - 38min !

I've been in a few: Brooks, Lashaway, South(?), Browning, Hathaway and that pit at the old Ft Devens. They tend to be shallow (although I suppose there are some deep spots) and silty but I have found some cool stuff in Brooks Pond. Lashaway is nasty. Hathaway was interesting but it's on the Cape so if you live in central, or western MA it can be a drive. Years ago I dove the quarries in Quincy (or was it Milford?).

The Ledges @ Newfound Lake in Bristol is a very cool dive, becomes deep very quickly, but (last time I was there) there is no parking to speak of so it's not an easy dive.

My vote goes to Clark's Point in Lake W. The only thing that site lacks is a bathroom. If you are willing to swim a distance there is a spectacular wall at that site.

Curious... when you say Brooks, are you referring to Brooks Pond in Medford? I live about 1/4 mile from it and I must say I would never have even thought about it. Something about the place just creeps me out. The vis has to be near zero under the best circumstances.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom