Lake Murray Report 2/24/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UndrWatrDan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Well I can now say I've dove in a dust storm. Left DFW Saturday morning and headed to Lk Murray. The weather started to clear from west to east as we drove north and the wind started to pick up. By the time we got to Murray the winds were pretty steady out of the west. Our first dive was at Tuckers Tower. Entered the water around 11:30am and vis was 1-3 ft down to 40'. At 40' vis improved to a whopping 5'. Surface temp was 45, at 51' it was 43. When we surface, the waves were as big as some of those I've seen in open water, actually breaking on us as we made our way to shore. By the time we got to the second and third dives which were at Marietta Landing, the skies had become brown with west texas dust. We dove the platforms and vis was 3-5' with water temp 44 at 21'.

Call me crazy, but heading back this morning and will report back tonight on todays vis and temps. (thinking, dummy they haven't changed much! :shakehead )

UndrWatrDan:
Well I can now say I've dove in a dust storm. Left DFW Saturday morning and headed to Lk Murray. The weather started to clear from west to east as we drove north and the wind started to pick up. By the time we got to Murray the winds were pretty steady out of the west. Our first dive was at Tuckers Tower. Entered the water around 11:30am and vis was 1-3 ft down to 40'. At 40' vis improved to a whopping 5'. Surface temp was 45, at 51' it was 43. When we surface, the waves were as big as some of those I've seen in open water, actually breaking on us as we made our way to shore. By the time we got to the second and third dives which were at Marietta Landing, the skies had become brown with west texas dust. We dove the platforms and vis was 3-5' with water temp 44 at 21'.

Call me crazy, but heading back this morning and will report back tonight on todays vis and temps. (thinking, dummy they haven't changed much! :shakehead )

Danny I was up as a day visitor with Timeliner who spent the night there at the park.....they recorded wind gust to 60mph several times.....bet it played heck on those lake strung sizmographic instr.!! lol The drive back to Arl. was quite interesting. Hope that bon fire did not burn down the park... :D

texdiveguy:
Hope that bon fire did not burn down the park... :D

You gotta be kidding, Alan! Hopefully that bonfire never got fired up, with 60 mph winds blowing. (Maybe I better turn on the news...) :wink:

I posted this else where but it should be here as well. Thanks to the ScubaDillos and the Dive Rebels Ya'll are great !!!

I experienced:

Big Fire
great folks, some were almost as beautiful as me too
TexDiveGuy stopped by
I got to meet 2 new Swamp Divers !
great BBQ beef, pork, sausage, peppers.
no ToFu , no Rice Cakes, no non Trans Fat foods
Friendly Large Dogs
Hot Pies !
Silent auction
People with English Accents
People with New York Accents
People like Us from Texas with no Accents
Buy a ticket maybe win a prize maybe not
respectful children 5 to 70 years of age
Live Reptile show with large snakes and lizards
early morning Geese honking that woke us up
44 degree water ~~ it has warmed since a couple of weeks ago
GeoPhysical teams everywhere setting up earthquake equipment
Huge Dust Storm !!!
Big Time Wind !!!
Waves big enough to Surf
Classic Rock Music ( Welcome to the Jungle Baby !! )
I had a sweet 56min Solo Dive
Excellent Wine & Cheese
A Pretty darned good Tropical Rum being passed around called Big Black ****
Indoor plumbing & Hot water showers !
4 new dive magazines to read before bed by lantern light
Easy sleeping in a warm Goose Down sleeping bag
Delight of a Park Ranger ( she really was nice)
An actual Andrea Doria diver in the bunch
A Silent night for a campground thats for sure
gallons of hot coffee in the morning !!!
bright Sushine on the way home.

Only 364 days till the next one

Dang, I wish I weren't such a WWW.

But I am.

Foo:
You gotta be kidding, Alan! Hopefully that bonfire never got fired up, with 60 mph winds blowing. (Maybe I better turn on the news...) :wink:

The bonfire burned big, bright and hot. By the time the bonfire was going the winds were down to maybe 59! Coming home the wind was blowing so hard last night that in Denton it pushed me to Dallas instead of letting me go to Ft Worth.

Oh by the way, water conditions today same as yesterday, minus the whitecaps and the brown sky! Made it to 65' on one dive and was on the platform the other two dives today with an OW student. It was a beautiful day! Now I'm home and after a long hot shower, almost warm again!

Allen, sorry I missed you, Timeliner told me you had stopped by.

Looks like I'm late for my dive report...looks like y'all got it covered pretty well. My dive buddy and I tried our new 7mils out Saturday morning desceding during that MASSIVE dust storm. The waves/wind made it extremely difficult for us to work out boyancy...that combined with my new !@#$%^ dive flag made descending no fun at all. With 3" vis (yeah, that's inches not feet) I lost my dive buddy TWICE in a 12 minute dive. Our first 45 degree water dive was disappointing to say the least... but NOT TO BE DISCOURAGED! Oh, and at somepoint during that dive, I involuntarilly donated my snorkel to the lake god. :-(

So we joined the camp crew Saturday evening, and I have to second everything Timeliner said; man those guys now how to put on a spread...probably the best brisket and pork loin I've ever had. King Aurthur never had a spread that big. Great people, Great (big) bon fire (that didn't burn the park down...but should have). I met more people than I can remember...Well planned, well organized, fun folks. I was suprised when we got there to learn that it was more of a social/camping event than diving event, but there were a few die hard divers out there that got wet. It was a good time to get out under the stars and meet and greet. I can't wait to do it again.

Sunday morning, we too woke up by the geese alarm clock; they flew so close over the tent, we could hear the wind on their wings as they honked over. With Saturday's discouraging dive behind us, we came up with a much better dive plan, and I rengineered the setup for dive flag, and now it' ooh, so nice...(No line to get tangled in), and big thanks to Allen for the tip to toss our extra weights in the tube in case we needed to pick up more weight while working out our boyancy (that's a tiddy little storage compartment in there) . There were lots of boats out Saturday morning dropping more of those siezmic gizmos; I was glad to have the dive flag, although when a batch of local fishermen showed up (several hours after we'd dried off) I wondered if the "attraction" wouldn't have been a problem. Water temp on Sunday morning was the same as Saturday, with vis around 3' at 35'. We found old motor parts, a sunken boat and a dive platform over where Timeliner called the Amusement Park. This dive was FAR more enjoyable...and comfortable.

I can't thank timeliner, texDiveGuy, UnderwaterDan, and the rest of the gang out there for the tips, advice, pointers, intel, and guidance for two rookies. Sunday's success was a direct result of what we learned in our first dive, and the advice we took away from you guys.

We finished Sunday morning by loaning a spare full tank to a brave young man that completed his open water cert in that 45 degree merk...

Todd at ScubaToys...if you're reading here; the Pinnacle suit worked out great and you're right... I never got cold. I even figured out how to get in and out of it...all I had to do was to remember what it was like being shoved through a birth canal... after that; getting my head in and out of that hood was a piece of cake.

Anyone interested in a combination camping/dive reduex the weekend of March 24?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom