Lake Murray 5K Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Deirdre and I got to Murray shortly after the Kunkle Klan and got set up on Friday night. My daughter and the youngest Kunkle girl are only a couple months apart in age so they get along very well. Frank and his grandson were in the Gypsy Girl close by.

It got really chilly, but I was the only one in a tent (by choice) so everyone else was comfy.

Saturday dawned cold but clear and calm. Kory and I both had upper respiratory issues going on so neither of us dove. Rhonda got to do one on Saturday and one on Sunday. I'll let someone else fill in the dive details. I pulled camp cook detail (I just kinda stepped in and did it) and cooked fajitas for lunch. Kory bailed me out from forgetting the tortillas by running to Marrietta and picking some up.

Making a dive on Saturday was Yellowfinkunkfish, Guba, Texasdiveguy, zzzking, and Timeliner. Richerso came to hang out with us too, but didn't get wet. King brought his girl Natalie and she played with the other girls very nicely. They had a great time. Tyler (oldest Kunk boy) and Gable (Frank's g-son) played very well too. They caught a bunch of crawfish and roasted them over the fire that evening. 5 kiddos, all very well behaved and got along great. Could not have asked for better weather.

Saturday night Frank pulled out his telescope and a few of us looked at a ring nebula and Andromeda.

Sunday was even nicer. It warmed up a little more. Frank, King, and daddy King got a small jam session going while breakfast was cooked.

King, Frank and Rhonda got to make another dive. Sadly the weekend had to end and we packed it in.

John Chapman even dropped in for a few minutes to say hello.

Great time with some great people.

TwoBit

I agree--it was a great time, and I really appreciate the invitation and opportunity to participate. Thanks to Alan and Frank for the great dive!

Sorry I had to bug out early. The phone call from my wife was accurate--there was a "plumbing emergency", but that probably wasn't the real reason she thought it would be a good idea for me to return home. The house wasn't being flooded, after all. However, as I approached Wichita Falls, the wife called again and asked me to stop by my daughter and son-in-laws' house. I said sure and headed there. Upon entering the house, there was my wife and daughter....who now sported a brand new cast on her right leg. You see, she and her husband went SKY DIVING for the first time Saturday...anniversary presents to each other. Daughter had a bit of a rough landing. My wife didn't want to tell me that on the phone, hence the call about "plumbing". Ah, well...everyone is okay--reasonably--and daughter is in good spirits. Heck, she's already planning the NEXT JUMP!

Anyway...thanks all for a great day. Hope to do it again sometime! (Uh...not the part about the broken leg...)
Bill

Hi Bill..... it was a pleasure visiting with you again and sharing a nice long dive together!

Sorry to hear the news about your daughter...but glad to hear she is in good spirit and the injury is one that will heal. And thumbs up to her for wanting to give the jumping at try again......I will dive to 300ft., but NO way am I jumping out of a plane... :no: :D

Great day I had at Lake Murray with friends!!

You guys are great!
I was feeling a little under the weather; but it's always nice to hang out with great friends!

Did anybody claim my green folding camp chair ?? I left beside the camp fire Saturday night.

Did anybody claim my green folding camp chair ?? I left beside the camp fire Saturday night.

Saw it this morning on Franks Ebay account....nice asking price! :mooner:

I figured out when I got home that one of my batteries in my main dive light was in upside down.... no wonder it started to brown out after a couple of minutes.
Oh well.... the soft brown glow made it less difficult to see through the slit down at the Volkswagon. I think that is where Zzzkings dive light just went out too. ( or maybe it was just the explosion of silt )
:D

Poor Rhonda...down there @ 71 feet in the dark between a guy with a flickering brown light and a dude with no light on.

'Good dive though !!

Afterwards I was by the shore behind a bunch of trees stripping out of my wetsuit.
I mean, after all there was a lady present so that was the polite thing to do right ?

So there I was barefoot and balanced on a small flat rock on a ledge. I could not see a soul on the lake .... then from way off comes this boat and sure as heck it was headed straight for me and I just never did get my feet out of the legs of the suit. Everything else was hangin' out thought.
They pull up right in front of me and I guess just never did see me till I said something to them.
That freaked them out :shocked2: The woman in the boat about swallowed her tongue and the guy muttered something that sounded like Boomhower on King of the Hill

I finished taking off my suit and put some clothes on as they tried to start they're boat.

So much for the local Sheriff's report of a neckid' wild man on the loose out at Lake Murray. Witnesses said he was a grizzled old Silver back wearing a .... " Sasq-Watch "
:wink:

You guys are great!
I was feeling a little under the weather; but it's always nice to hang out with great friends!

I told yall that wasn't mine.

John, I have it. It's in my trailer. You will need to help me remember to bring it to the next shin dig.

TwoBit

Back
Top Bottom