Lake michigan good vis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crunch@

Reaction score
lake ozark missouri, the worst place to dive in th
# of dives
25 - 49
I heard that Lake michigan has 60 feet of vis in the summer and is a good place to dive. I always thought it was muddy but i have heard rummors that the zebra mussels have cleaned it up. has anyone got any input. Im always looking for a midwest dive spot and thats not too far,

We wnt last year and the vis was GREAT!!! The zebra mussels have really cleaned it up, but they cover everything in site. It was cold!!! 43 degrees at 80' Lots of wrecks to explore....

easy:someday we will meet and discuss cold....as the freezing rain hits my window...Cold Wimp here....

CheddarChick:
We wnt last year and the vis was GREAT!!! The zebra mussels have really cleaned it up, but they cover everything in site. It was cold!!! 43 degrees at 80' Lots of wrecks to explore....

I know there's thousands of wrecks there, but many of the ones I've seen listed as dive attractions are more suitable for technical divers.

What wrecks did you dive specifically and tell us about the shops etc. How did you get there, web site reference if there is one. Stuff like that.

43 is a good temp for me, vis seems to be fine once you get to that range, at least around here it is.

A good introduction to lake Michigan wrecks is a trip with N'Pursuit out of South Chicago, IN. He works the southern tip of the lake up as far as Chicago and most wrecks are in the 40 - 50' range.

We went with Loves Park Scuba. Website: lovesparkscuba.com We visited the Lumberman, the Dredge, the Prince Willheim, and the Fireboat, All in the 70-100' depth. They run regular schedules to Lake Michigan. He bought an old Coast Guard cutter and retrofitted it for diving.. Dan Johnson is the dive master

We have thinking about doing a Great Lakes wreck dive with Loves Park Scuba. Can you tell us more about the boat? He only takes 5 divers at a time, but a coast guard cutter sounds like a big boat.

Not as big as you think, The boat has a heated cabin, really nice after 43 degrees, Takes the waves really well under power, Dan is retrofitting it as he goes, so it is still a work in progress, Has room for 5 easily. The only drawback is the tank storage, and as it was early last fall when we dove last, that might be taken care of. Easy on and off, giant stride in. And hey, I only puked once!! A record for me! He is very informed on the wrecks he takes you to, as he and his buddy found and slavaged some of them. The wrecks in Mich are really in good shape, and for the beginner the easy ones are worth the effort. He takes good care of you while you are out there. I would recommend his outfit and will go with him in the future...

Thanks, that's the company I looked at and wanted to dive with this year, I lost my bookmarks in a freak accident...

From the research I've done in the past this is a good company.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom